How long have you been looking for a perfect way to visually capture and organize your thoughts and ideas on the board? With Miro Mind Map, you can apply the world-recognized graphic technique that goes far beyond simple note-taking to structure your content hierarchically.
Available on: browser, desktop and tablet version (limited functionality)
To get started on mind mapping, find Mind Map icon among the apps on the Toolbar. For your convenience, you can drag the icon directly to your Toolbar.
Mind Map icon on the Toolbar
Select Mind Map and click anywhere on the board to add the parent node - the starting point of your Mind Map. The plus signs on each side of it will prompt where you can start branches and create child nodes. You can create a vertical or a horizontal Mind Map.
Use the following shortcuts to speed up the creation process:
Enter to create a sibling node and start editing it right away;
- Shift+Enter to create a new line in the node;
Tab to create a new child node;
Arrows to move between nodes;
Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to duplicate a node as a child branch;
Escape to exit the Edit mode;
Delete to delete the whole node.
While in the edit mode, you will see the icon in the bottom right corner of the board next to the board zoom. Here you can find some useful tips that will remind you of the main functions and commands of the Mind Map.
Mind Map tips
All nodes are automatically aligned but you can select and drag the nodes to change their position on the canvas. Use Align Child Nodes to improve your Mind Map at any time by auto arranging it.
Changing the hierarchy
You can also choose the style for your Mind Map (the nodes can either use curved or straight lines) and change its orientation. And if you want your Mind Map to look colourful and bright, use Randomize tool:
Style of your Mind Map
Since the main component of every Mind Map is text, you can apply different text styling options in its shortened version. Please note that to preserve the visual consistency of the Mind Map, changing the text size in the parent node will affect the whole Mind Map:
Changing the font size of the Mind Map
To reassign a child node to another parent node, simply drag the node:
Reassigning the node
Use nodes linking to show dependencies between ideas in your Mind Map when visualizing complex concepts:
Changing Mind Map's size
Feel free to add a link to the text in the node using Add URL option:
Adding a URL to a node
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I move/reassign a node?
- Yes, simply drag the node.
- Can I collapse/expand nodes?
- No, it is not possible to collapse and expand nodes yet.
- Can I attach an image to a node?
- Though there is no option to attach an image to a node, we have it in the backlog.
- Can I import Mind Maps from the other apps to Miro?
- No, it is not currently possible to import/convert Mind Maps from other apps directly to Miro. Please find the list of supported file formats here.
- Can I create vertically-oriented Mind Maps?
- Yes, when creating a Mind Map, click the plus icon above or below the parent node.
- Can I export the data from a Mind Map into intelligent data?
- No, at the moment, our Mind Map export doesn't keep the structure and relationships.
💡 If you haven't found the feature you've been looking for, feel free to share your idea in the Community Wish List.