Miro gives you almost infinite possibilities of working with objects on a board, so here are some tips on how to achieve your goals easier and faster.
- Use mini-map
- Shortcuts & hotkeys
2.1. Switching between Select / Pan modes
2.2. Smart duplicating
- Lock objects
- Move objects between foreground and background
- Rotate objects
- Split multipage docs
- Replace images
- Crop images
Be sure to choose the appropriate navigation mode to smoothly navigate across the board and make use of a mini-map, which can be found in the bottom right corner of the board (or just press M hotkey to open/close it).
Shortcuts & hotkeys
Switching between Select / Pan modes
Try using hotkeys to switch between selecting a certain object and panning across the board:
- V hotkey- activates the select/edit mode (the cursor tool in the toolbar),
- H hotkey - activates the hand/pan mode,
- Spacebar - temporarily activates the hand/pan mode. Keep Spacebar pressed to pan across the boards without messing up the built structures.
Speed up your work by using Ctrl + D shortcut to quickly and easily duplicate objects on the board.
Prevent objects from being accidentally moved, edited or deleted by locking them on the board!
⚠️ Guest Editors are not able to lock/unlock objects on the board.
Right-click the object to open the context menu and choose Lock or just select the object and use the Ctrl/Cmd+L shortcut.
To unlock the objects, use the shortcut again, right-click the object and choose Unlock or just long-press the button in the context menu:
Long press to unlock
Move objects between foreground and background
All objects on the board are placed relatively on top of each other. Though layers are not currently supported in Miro, you may define the order of the objects by using the options Bring Forward or Send Backward in the context menu or with the help of FnUp/FnDown shortcuts.
Defining the order of objects
Easily rotate objects on the board to adjust your content. Find the icon in the lower-left corner of the object, click and drag it to change the position as shown in the GIF below:
Rotating an object
Split multipage docs
Available on: browser version, Desktop App
A way for your team to collaborate on documents or PDF files — expand any pages, lay them out on the board, and leave comments directly on pages.
To divide a PDF into a certain number of pages:
- Upload a PDF file to the board;
- Click on the file, in the context menu choose Extract pages:
- Choose how you want to split the PDF file - all or just specific pages and click Extract: Extracting pages
Expanded pages will appear right under the original PDF file. If there is no need in the original PDF file you can delete it - all extracted pages will stay on the board.
To pin a particular page of the document on the board click Pin in the context menu and choose Set current as start. Every time you open the board, this page will set as the first one:
Pinning a page
Any image on the board can be replaced without affecting other objects on the canvas. To update an image, take the following steps:
1. Select the image you want to change, click Replace image and choose the source of a new image in the context menu - Replace from board, Upload from device, or Upload via URL.
2. Once the source is chosen, find the required image and select it.
3. The new image will replace the initial one.
Replacing an image from the device
There is no need to use third-party software to crop images, as Miro has a tool for it. Double click the image or choose Crop icon in the context menu.