Projects are essentially folders of boards with the option to manage user access for a smaller group of people within a team. Projects are here to help you organize your boards and make them easier to find and share. In other words, a project is a group of boards that you can share with your teammates all at once.
⚠️ Note that Projects are not available on Free plan.
In this article:
- Projects overview
- Creating projects
- Changing project details
- Adding members to projects
- Sharing projects with the whole team
- Reassigning roles and ownership and removing members
- Adding boards to projects
- Moving boards to another project or removing it
- Leaving or deleting a project
Check the overview of Miro projects in the video:
All the team's projects to which you are invited are listed alphabetically under the team name on the dashboard. Next to the name of the project you see the avatars of the project participants. Click a project name to see the project details.
When you invite a project member, you can set their role (editor, commenter, or viewer) for all boards in the project at once. Their access rights to a specific board can then be increased via the board's Share menu: for example, a project viewer may be invited as an editor to a board located in the project.
⚠️ Please note that the highest level of access granted (either at the project level or the board level) will apply for a given user.
As a project member you can:
- access all boards within the project, both present and all newly created or added to the project,
- create boards within the project,
- be notified of all changes in all boards within a project.
Click the +Add button in the left sidebar to create a new project. Set the name for the project in the Project name field:
Creating a new project
Changing project details
Set up by: project editors
The creator of a project and the participants invited as editors can invite other people and add existing boards to the project. New boards can be created by any participant. Only the project owner can rename the project and toggle the Anyone in your team can view this project setting.
Renaming a project
Adding members to projects
The project invitation procedures are very similar to sharing a board. To add team members to a project, click the +Add Members button in the project settings or click the plus icon next to the existing project members. Start typing a name or select all the members from the list and set the access level for them (editor, commenter, or viewer). Note that only team members can be invited to projects.
Inviting people to a project
Sharing project with the whole team
A project may be shared with the whole team in one click by its owner. Open the project menu and enable Anyone in your team can view this project option.
✏️ Team Admins can configure default sharing settings for newly created projects.
Sharing a project with the team in one click
Reassigning roles and ownership and removing members
If you would like to change the participant's role or remove them:
- Open the project settings.
- Open the context menu next to their name.
- Choose the new role (editor, commenter, viewer, or owner) or click to Remove them.
Removing a project participant
To change the project owner, choose Is owner in a user's menu. When you transfer a project to another user, it doesn’t change a board owner for the project boards.
Adding boards to a project
There are several ways board editors can move boards to a project:
- to add several boards to one project at once, click +Add Boards button in the project settings, start typing a name and select boards from the list:
Adding boards to the project using the project settings
- open the board’s information card window and select the project to attach the board to:
Adding the board to a project via the board settings
- open the board's context menu and choose Move to project:
Adding a board to a project from the dashboard
Moving boards to another project or removing it
You can move a board to another project or remove it the same ways you add a board to a project. Open the settings and from the project names list choose another name or choose None. This can be done in two ways:
- from the board’s information card:
Removing a board from a project via the board info card
- from the board's context menu on the dashboard:
Moving a board from one project to another
Leaving or deleting a project
To delete a project you must be its owner. Open project settings and click Delete project. Deleting the project does not delete boards within it.
The option to delete a project
All the other members will see the button named Leave project. The option will not appear if the project is shared with everyone in the team.
⚠️ After downgrading to Free plan projects are not editable and there's no option to create new ones.
Frequently asked questions
- When I move a board to a project, does the board link change?
- No, it does not.
- Can I duplicate a project?
- No, the feature is not currently available. You can duplicate project boards (if you are the board owner), create a project, and move the boards to the new project.
- Is there a way to archive a project?
- No, at the moment, this functionality is not supported. Deleting a project doesn't lead to removing boards.
- Can I share projects with people outside my team?
- No, but you can share particular boards with people outside your team. Check possible options here.
- Can I create a link to a project?
No, it is not currently possible.
- How do I create a board inside a project?
- Switch to the project on your team dashboard and click New board. Note that boards created from All boards section do not fall into a project but you can move them later.