Previously, all actions with Jira Cards (i.e. importing, creating, and updating them) were done on behalf of the Jira administrator who configured the integration.
Starting August 26, 2021 end-users have the option to connect individual Jira user credentials to use the integration, and starting from January 18, 2022, it will be the default and the only available setup for Jira Cards.
With this update end-users will be able to use their individual Jira user credentials, giving them access to their unique issues and limiting their access to admin-level activity, making Jira Cards an even more secure and user-friendly integration.
What does this update mean to Jira Cards end-users?
- New Jira Cards end-users who will enable this integration for the first time starting August 26, 2021 will be able to use Jira Cards in Miro only if they use their individual user Jira credentials
- Existing Jira cards end-users will have the option to continue using Jira Cards in Miro with the single admin account that was initially used to connect Miro with Jira for a limited time – until their account admin disables this option or January 18, 2022, when Miro will enforce using individual user credentials with Jira Cards for all users
What does this update mean to Team & Company Admins?
- If you are setting up Jira Cards in Miro for your account for the first time, you will follow the new default flow: all of the end-users in your account will be required to sign in with their individual Jira user credentials to be able to use Jira Cards in Miro
- If the account you manage already has the integration between Jira and Miro set up, you will have two options:
- Enforce end-user authentication for a team or teams your manage (or the entire organization if you are a Company Admin on Enterprise plan) on your own timeline (but no later than 18 January, 2022)
- Wait until January 18, 2022 when Miro will enforce using personal credentials with Jira Cards for all users
Please, note: if you enforce individual user credentials on your account, this action cannot be undone.
How to enable individual Jira credentials for Jira Cards?
You can enforce authentication with individual Jira user credentials in the settings of any team where Jira Cards integration is configured. To do this, you need to have Team or Company Admin role. With Company admin permissions, you can enforce it not only for a team or teams, but also for the entire organization.
First, you need to go to Team Settings > Apps & Integrations > Jira Cards. You will see a dedicated section with settings. Click on the Open Settings button.
Click Open settings to enforce individual authentication
Then you need to select whether Jira user credentials are enforced for the current team or the entire organization (the option to enforce for the whole organization will only be available for the Company admin).
Turning on authentication with Jira user credentials
After that, you need to click on the Turn On Jira authentication button. That's it – you're all set!
Notification that you see after activating individual Jira authentication
When the end-user tries to import or edit a Jira Card for the first time after the authentication is enforced, they will be asked to log in to Jira using their individual user credentials.