Miro provides a higher level of control over your company's data by ensuring your data is hosted in your region of choice. Data Center Residency will help you meet your security obligations and enable your teams to share information safely and work in a global, hybrid environment, no matter where or how your teams are distributed.
Available for: Enterprise plan
What types of data does Miro store?
In Miro, there are two types of customer data:
- Customer Content, which is data, content or material you create within or submit to the Miro platform. It includes:
- user-generated content, such as board content like shapes, stickies, and frames, as well as files uploaded to boards,
- user profile data, such as user roles, and
- metadata, such as board, project, and team names, board and project permissions and voting data.
- Usage Data, which is the data used by Miro on a day-to-day basis to operate the Miro platform, such as technical log data.
We currently host Customer Content as production data and backup data in separate data centers.
Where can we store our organization's data?
By default, Miro hosts production data in the EU, with backup data hosted in the US. Now, new Miro customers can request for their Customer Content to be hosted exclusively within the US. Existing customers will also be able to request for their Customer Content to be migrated to the US (coming soon).
In the meantime, EU customers can continue to leverage EU Data Localization to enable Customer Content (excluding metadata) to be hosted within the EU. EU customers will also be able to benefit from Data Center Residency and have their Customer Content hosted exclusively in the EU (coming soon).
Where are Miro’s data centers?
We have 4 data centers: production databases in Ireland and Virginia, and backup data centers in Frankfurt and Ohio.
Who is Data Center Residency available to?
Data Center Residency is available on Enterprise plan.
Currently, all new US Enterprise plan customers have the option to have their Customer Content hosted in the US. Migration for existing US Enterprise customers will be available later in the year.
EU-only hosting is coming soon.
Is Data Center Residency free?
Yes. Data Center Residency is free for all Enterprise customers.
Are there any Miro features or data that is not included as part of Data Center Residency?
Yes. Some features and data are not covered by Data Center Residency:
- Customer Support - Data you share with Customer support is currently hosted in the EUUS, and enterprise customers receive support from agents in-region by default. However, due to operational reasons, there may be times when we need to provide support from a different region.
- Third-Party Integrations - Data you choose to share with Third-Party Integrations may be processed outside your region of choice. However, the following integrations are included as part of Data Center Residency (with more to follow):
- Asana Cards
- Atlassian Confluence Plugin
- Google Drive
- Jira Add-on
- Microsoft Azure DevOps Cards
- Microsoft OneDrive
- MS Teams (tabs, meetings)
- Subprocessors - With the exception of AWS, Miro’s hosting provider, data shared with our subprocessors is not included in Data Center Residency and may be processed outside your region of choice. Please see our list of subprocessors for more information.
- Usage Data - Usage Data is not included in Data Center Residency.
- Ephemeral data - temporary data in-transit (up to 30 days) is not included in Data Center Residency.
- Restoration data - If you ask us to restore a deleted board, the data on the restored board will be processed temporarily in our restoration environment in the US.
How can I request for my company's data to be stored in a specific region?
Please reach out to the Miro Sales team.
Can we segregate our data?
Securing your data is a top priority at Miro. All customer data is encrypted in transit and at rest for all Miro customers by default, regardless of their plan. Miro’s data transfer mechanisms and encryption key management strategies follow industry best practices and are guided by the NIST SP800-53 CSF.
For enterprise customers, Miro offers Encryption Key Management (previously known as Data Governance), which is the option to segregate the storage of board content at rest. Segregated data can be backed up in separate sets of backup, hourly and daily, with the option to be pushed to US data centers or retained in the EU region according to your need. This is a 100% cloud based solution that allows you to revoke key access to your data at any time and monitor activity logs related to your encryption keys.
For more information, please reach out to the Miro Sales team.