Create archived copies of your boards by saving board backups. Backups allow you to ensure the safety of your content and share copies of your boards with other Miro users.
Available for: Team, Business, Enterprise, Consultant, and Education plans
Set up by: Board owner, Board co-owner, Company Admins with Content Admin permissions on Enterprise plan
The backup file can be uploaded by any user
In this article:
Saving a board backup
To create a backup, open a board and click on the Export button. Choose the Download board backup option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Downloading board backup
You can also save a backup from your dashboard: open a board's menu by clicking the three dots and choose the option.
Downloading board backup from the dashboard
The *.rtb file will be saved to your device.
⚠️ Please note that only Board owners can download backups of boards located in paid teams. If this option is greyed out in the Export menu, please check if this functionality is available on your plan and if you are the Owner of the board or Board co-owner.
✏️ If you have issues saving a backup, try the troubleshooting steps from this article.
Restoring a board from a backup
The option to upload a board backup is available for any user in paid teams. You can send an archived copy of your board to another Miro user so that they can recreate the board copy in their paid team.
To restore a board from a backup, go to the dashboard and click Upload from backup. A dialogue box will appear, where you will be able to choose your *.rtb board backup file. After you confirm your choice, a new board with the same content will be created in the team. The board title will include Restored.
Restoring a board from backup
⚠️ Please note that the Miro interface can only upload board backups of less than 200 MB. To upload larger backup files, please contact Miro Support Team:
- log in to Miro and submit your request using the Support form
- attach your backup file to your request or upload it to any cloud storage and send us the link to it (please make sure to allow anyone with the link to download the file)
✏️ If your backup file is less than 200 MB and you still have issues uploading it please check the troubleshooting steps on this page.
Frequently asked questions
- I don't have the option to download board backup. Why?
- Only Board owners/co-owners in paid teams can save board backups. If the board belongs to a free team or if you are not the Board owner, the option will not appear for you.
- What to do if my board has been deleted?
- Check this guide: How to restore a deleted board.
- Can I make backups of several boards in bulk?
- This is not possible at the moment.