The shape tool allows you to create various shapes that can be used in flowcharting, diagramming, and for many other purposes.
In this article:
- Adding shapes
- Styling shapes
- Adding text to shapes
- Quick diagram creation
- Frequently asked questions
There are 4 simple ways to add shapes to the board:
- Select shape on the toolbar or press S on your keyboard, choose the one you would like to add and click your board.
- Drag and drop a shape from the toolbar right to the board.
- Click anywhere on the board and dragyour cursor holding the left mouse button.
- Double-click anywhere on the board to add the last created shape.
Adding a shape
To see the full list of shapes click All shapes - this will open the Diagramming panel for you.
Opening the full list of shapes
You can add new shapes to the library by clicking Add shapes or select icon on the top of the panel. Basic shapes, Flowchart, Connectors are available for everyone. All other shape packs (BPMN, Data flow, AWS, etc.) are only available for Business and Enterprise plans.
Adding new shape packs to the Diagramming panel
Select a shape to change its style, color, and transparency. You can style the borders by choosing the right color, transparency, thickness, and type.
Styling a shape
Use the white nodes to change the dimensions of a shape. Drag the arrow icon to rotate the shape.
Changing the shape's size and rotating the shape
You can select several shapes at once and style them all.
To change a shape size without changing its ratio, hold down Shift just like you would in any other graphics software.
Changing the shape size
Use Alt (for Windows)/Option (for Mac) to change a shape's ratio while keeping its center attached to the same place.
The option to convert a shape
Adding text to shapes
To add text to a shape, select it and start typing. Shapes have a limit of 6,000 symbols.
Adding text to a shape
Feel free to use different text formatting options: you can change the text size, font, style, alignment, color and highlight the text. Note that bullet points are not supported in shapes, please use text instead.
Changing text inside a shape
Quick diagram creation
As soon as you select a shape, a sticky note, or a card and hover over a blue dot near the object, it will show you where a new shape or a connection line will be created. Click the dot to create the line or the object. If you wish to connect the object to the one which is different from the suggested, drag the dot and draw the connection line as usual.
One-click creation and connection in Miro
Frequently asked questions
- Can I change the radius on the corners of a rounded rectangle?
- The radius is changed as soon as you change the shape size.
- How do I move a shape?
- Select the shape and simply drag it. Please make sure that the shape is not locked and that you activated the Select tool.
- How do I create a perfect circle?
- Choose circle on the toolbar and click the board. If you modified the circle shape before and the custom one is created when you click the board, reload the board and do the above again.
- How do I align several shapes?
- Learn here how you can align board objects.