Free Restricted users on the Enterprise plan can view your Miro team content with the option to request edit access.
Available for: Enterprise plan
When a user gets a Free Restricted license
Free Restricted license is automatically assigned to users who join Enterprise subscription that doesn’t have enough paid licenses to assign as members. However, on subscriptions with Flexible Licensing Program (FLP) activated, it works differently.
On non-FLP subscriptions:
- The user is being auto-captured (by Domain control or JIT) in an organization that has insufficient Full licenses during their registration in Miro
- The user is invited to the team in the organization that has insufficient Full licenses. When multiple users are invited at the same time, they receive licenses by order of their email addresses in the list of invitees. If the organization has insufficient seats, users at the end of the list will receive a Free Restricted license. In this case, the inviter would receive a pop-up notification about limited access for some users
On FLP subscriptions:
- The user joins an FLP subscription with Free Restricted license set as a default license
- Company Admin invites the user and selects Free Restricted license for them on the invitation window
- Company Admin converts users to Free Restricted in Company settings > Active users
✏️ Learn more about Flexible Licensing Program here.
How it works for users
Free Restricted users can view and comment on boards in the teams they participate in, and request edit access and a license from Company Admins. They can also discover and join teams in the organization along with other members.
✏️ Company Admins can configure request management settings.
Free Restricted users can request edit access
Free Restricted members can’t invite new users to the team or board even if it is allowed to other members. However, they receive the right to invite users to the organization and teams if granted the Company Admin role.
How it works for Company Admins
On non-FLP accounts, Company Admin can upgrade user license from Free Restricted to Full in the Active users section of Team settings or Company settings, but not the other way. On FLP subscriptions, Company Admin has the option to convert a user to Free Restricted at any time.
✏️ Learn more about license management on FLP subscriptions here.
Free Restricted license can’t be upgraded automatically, so when more Full licenses are added to a subscription, they are not automatically distributed among existing users with a Free Restricted license.
When a user with a Free Restricted license is requesting editing access, Company Admins receive an email with the request to assign a paid license if this is configured in Request management settings. You can also choose to redirect the requester to a service desk or automatically convert their request into a ServiceNow ticket.