When new users join a Miro subscription, depending on the Enterprise licensing model they can be assigned a Free Restricted license.
Relevant for: Enterprise Plan
When are users assigned a Free Restricted license
On the Flexible Licensing Program (FLP), a user can be assigned the Free Restricted license when:
- The default license for new users is set to Free Restricted
- A Company Admin invites the user and selects the Free Restricted license for them in the invitation window
- A Company Admin converts the user to Free Restricted in Company settings > Active users
✏️ Learn more about the Flexible Licensing Program (FLP) and managing licensing on FLP.
On non-flexible licensing (non-FLP), a user can be assigned the Free Restricted license when:
- The user is being auto-captured (by Domain control or Just-in-Time provisioning) in an organization that has insufficient Full licenses during their registration in Miro
- The user is invited to a team in the organization that has insufficient Full licenses
When multiple users are invited at the same time, they receive licenses by order of their email addresses in the list of invitees. If the organization has insufficient licenses, users at the end of the list will receive a Free Restricted license. In this case, the inviter would receive a pop-up notification about limited access for some users.
How Free Restricted licenses work for users
Free Restricted users can view and comment on boards in the teams they participate in, and request edit access and a license from Company Admins. They can also discover and join teams in the organization along with other members.
Free Restricted users can’t invite new users to the team even if the invitation settings are enabled for other team members.
✏️ Company Admins can configure request management settings.
Free Restricted users can request edit access
How Free Restricted licenses work for Company Admins
On all subscriptions, the Company Admin can upgrade a user license from Free Restricted to Full in the Active users section of their Team or Company settings.
Flexible Licensing Program (FLP)
On FLP subscriptions, the Company Admin can also downgrade a Full license to a Free Restricted license at any time.
When a user with a Free Restricted license is requesting editing access, Company Admins receive the request based on their request management settings.
✏️ Learn more about license management on the Flexible Licensing Program.