Create and share custom templates to standardize processes and avoid duplicating work.
Available for: Starter, Old Business, New Business*, Consultant, Enterprise, and Education plans
Set up by: team members
* Over the next several months, we’re gradually rolling out our new Business plan, and migrating our existing Business plan users. If you purchased the plan recently, you may already have access to the new Business plan functionalities. Learn more about the new Business plan and how to check which version you’re currently on.
Creating a custom template
- Navigate to the board you want to turn into a template.
- Click the Export icon on the board menu.
- Select Save board as Template, optionally update your template details, and then click Save.
⚠️ Content in notes is not saved as a part of a custom template.
Save as template option in the Export menu
- Select a group of objects that you’d like saved as a template. Make sure they are unlocked. If you want to use locked objects, unlock them first and save the template, then relock them in edit mode.
- Click the three dots on the context menu.
- Choose Save as template, optionally update your template details, and then click Save.
Save as template option in the object's context menu
- Click the Templates icon on the Creation toolbar.
- Navigate to the CUSTOM TEMPLATES section on the template picker.
Click on the option that suits your needs based on your plan (Company, Team, or Personal).
✏️ The options you see will depend on your plan. Starter and Old Business plans will see "Personal" and "Team" options under Custom Templates.
"Company", "Team", and "Personal" options will be available on Starter, New Business, Consultant, Enterprise, and Education plans.
- Click Create new template. A new board will open where you can create a new template from scratch.
Creating a new template from scratch
Your template will be named New template by default.
To update your template details (name, description, sharing status, preview) do the following:
- Select the name of the template in the upper-left corner.
- Make your changes, and then click Save changes to update.
Saving a new template
✏️ Custom templates are saved to the library of the team to which your current board belongs. If you save your custom template in one team, you won't be able to access it in another team unless you create it there separately or the template is shared with the whole Company (on Enterprise, new Business* or Consultant plan).
Using and managing your templates
Mix and match templates together
You can add as many templates to your board as you want. Feel free to mix templates to best suit your project’s needs.
See a preview, get details, and use a custom template
When viewing custom templates, the template creator's name and profile picture is shown below the template card. Hover over a template to see the options to use it or see the template preview.
Custom templates on the template picker
Preview helps to easily identify the right template before adding it to a board. The preview shows the template name, description, and a small example of the template. You can also edit and delete your template here.
✏️ If you want to change the board preview area, edit your template and reset the start view area.
Custom template preview
Edit and delete your template
Set up by: Template owners, Company Admins with Content Admin permissions (on Enterprise plan)
⚠️ Company Admins with Content Admin permissions can only delete templates and edit board details, they cannot edit the content on the board.
You can easily modify or remove templates that you created. To edit or delete a template:
- Navigate within the template gallery to the template you want to edit or delete.
Hover over the template you want to affect, and click the three dots on the context menu. The following options will appear:
Edit and Delete buttons in the template picker
- To edit the template details, click the Edit option.
- Click the template’s name in the top-left corner. You can change the name, description, preview area, and sharing options. Click Save changes when you’re finished.
- To delete a template, click the Delete option. This will immediately delete your template. If you want to undo this delete, a message will appear at the bottom of your board with an option to Undo the deletion.
Feature a custom template
Available for: Starter, Old Business, New Business*, Consultant and Enterprise plans
Who can do it: Company Admins
Company Admins can feature templates that support their internal best practices and unique ways of working. Featured templates have a blue badge, and appear at the top of a custom templates folder. Users can easily find and reuse featured custom templates.
To feature a template, open the template page, scroll down to About this template and click Make featured.
Featuring a custom template
Sharing a custom template
Access levels for templates
Keep templates private or share them with your team or company to avoid duplicating efforts.
There are three access levels for custom templates: Personal, Team, and Company.
- Personal templates are visible to their creator only
- Shared with the team templates are available to every team member
- Shared with the company templates are shared across all teams within the subscription
✏️ On Consultant and New Business plans, all team members can publish company templates without prior admin approval by default.
You can update your access levels from the Templates picker by entering edit mode:
- Click the Templates button from the Creation toolbar.
- Choose the access level your template lives in (Personal, Team, Company).
- Click the three dots in the upper right corner of your template and choose Edit.
- Click the name of the template in the upper-left corner of the board, change your access level, and then click Save changes to update.
Sharing links for templates
Sharing links helps you direct others to quickly find the right template, extends the reach of recommended resources, and helps you to create your own private Miroverse.
Navigate to the template you want to share and copy the sharing link in two ways:
- Click the three dots on the context menu and select Copy link
- Click preview to see the template details and select Copy link to share in the top right
The option to copy a template link on the template preview
When opening the link, your team member will land on the template preview page. Note that you can only copy links to Team and Company templates.
✏️ Visibility notes indicate who can view certain custom templates. These are indicated by clicking the three dots on a template card (visible to), and in the template preview (visible only to). For example, if you create a template only for the developer team, when someone previews the template, they will see “Visible only to Developer team”.
Company templates and admin features
Available for: Enterprise, Consultant, and new Business plans*
Set up by: Company Admins
Several template features are available to Company Admins:
- Create company templates
- Manage (edit and delete) shared Company / Team templates
- Get Admin insights into template usage
Learn more about sharing policies on the Enterprise Plan.
All team members on Consultant and New Business plans can create templates and share with the company.
For team members on Enterprise plan, this ability depends on options set by the Company Admin.
Company Admins can share a custom template with the whole company
You can easily identify Company templates as those tagged with a COMPANY tag. Note that the COMPANY tag is only visible in template search results.
Company templates with a tag
✏️ Company Admins can edit anything in the template settings modal, but they cannot edit the board content itself.
Popular templates in Insights
Frequently asked questions
If you're on Enterprise plan, sharing will depend on settings chosen by your Company Admin.
- Open the board Share menu > Sharing settings > Permissions.
- Allow anyone with board access to copy the board content (note that the menu is available on paid plans only; the option is enabled and non-configurable on boards on Free plan).
- Share the board for public viewing.
- After sharing a board link, registered Miro users can now go to the board where the option to duplicate the board can be found.
You can also read more about how to turn off the ability to copy or export templates.
- Open the template picker and find your template in the CUSTOM TEMPLATES area.
- Click the three dots on your template and choose Delete. Note that only Template owners and Company Admins with Content Admin permissions on Enterprise plan can delete templates.