Learn how to create a Miro board. A Miro board is an online whiteboard that you can use to visualize your ideas and work on projects either individually or with a team.
When you join Miro your first board is automatically created and is saved either in your own free team or in the team you’ve been invited to. You can find it under your dashboard, titled My First Board.
Create a Miro board
You can create as many new boards as you wish from your dashboard or right from your browser address bar.
Create a board from the dashboard
- Open your dashboard
- If you’re a member of several teams, choose which team you want to save your board to
- To create a board in a particular project, open the project
- Click + New board
Creating a new board from the dashboard
You can also create a board using a template.
Creating a board from the template library on your dashboard
Create a board from the browser address bar
- Type miro.new in the browser address bar
- If you’re a member of multiple teams, choose which team you want to save your board to by clicking Switch team
- If you’re logged out, we’ll ask you to log in before the new board opens
Miro board created from the browser address bar
Why can’t I create a board
You’re not yet a member of a Miro team. To create your own Miro team click the plus icon in the sidebar of your dashboard.
You were invited to a board without being invited to the team. Click Ask to join team to create a new board in that team.
Create content on the board
When you open your new board you’ll see toolbars on the top, left and bottom-right. The blank area is your board interface. To start creating content, select a tool from the creation toolbar on the left.
You can create, import, move, edit, and delete objects on your board - all the changes that you make on the board are saved in real-time.
Find detailed instructions about the tools you can use to create content and watch helpful videos about getting started with Miro.
Creating content on the board using the creation toolbar
Update your board information
In order to easily find and identify your boards we recommend you:
- Create a unique title
- Set a cover picture
- Add a description
- Add the board to a project
Edit the board information card
- Click the board title in the top-left board menu (for new boards you’ll see Untitled)
- The board information card will open. Add the title and description
- Add the board to a project by clicking No project
- Select a preview area on the board. Select preview area is not supported in Safari.
Updating the board information card
Add a cover image to the board information card
There are multiple ways to add an image to your board information card: by selecting an icon Miro provides for you, by uploading your own image, or by selecting an area of the board.
- To set a custom board thumbnail, open the board information card and click the Miro logo, or click Change thumbnail.
- Choose from the icons Miro provides, or to upload your own image, click Upload.
- Upload an image from your device. You can use jpg, jpeg, bmp, png or gif files with a max file size of 30 MB (the size of the cover on the dashboard is 420x420 and 72dpi, the size of the preview within the board card is 210x210 and 72dpi)
- If you want to choose an area of your board for the thumbnail, click Select board area, then click and drag over the area of the board you wish to use.
Updating the board information card
View the board information card
If you have access rights, you can open the board information card to see the board owner, the date of creation, last changes, and which project the board is saved in. You can also delete and duplicate the board.