Standardize processes and avoid wasting time duplicating efforts by creating and sharing custom templates.
Available for: Team, Business, Consultant, Enterprise, and Education plans
Set up by: team members
Creating a custom template
From a whole board
Navigate to the board you want to turn into a template, click the Export this board menu. Select Save board as template, optionally update your template details, and then click Save.
Save as template option in the Export menu
From any part of a board
Select a group of objects that you’d like saved as a template and click the three dots on the context menu. Choose Save as template, optionally update your template details, and then click Save.
Save as template option in the objects' context menu
Create a template from scratch
Navigate to the Custom templates section on the template picker (you can access the picker from a board or from dashboard). Select Create template, a new board will open where you can create a new template from scratch.
Create template button
Your template will be named New template by default. To update your template details (name, description, sharing status, preview), select the name of the template in the upper-left corner, make your changes, and then click Save changes to update.
Make it easier for team members to identify important templates by setting custom thumbnails. You can select the preview area in two ways:
- Selecting a preview area from the board by clicking Select preview area text
- Uploading an image from your device by clicking on the image area
Click the template name to change the name, sharing status, description, and thumbnail
To save the template click Save and Exit in the upper-left corner.
Using and managing your templates
Mix and match templates together
Once you've saved a custom template it will now appear on the template picker under the Custom templates section. It can be found in either Personal or Shared, based on your selected share settings. You can access the template gallery from the dashboard or from any Miro board by clicking templates on the toolbar.
✏️ Custom templates are saved to the library of the team to which your current board belongs. If you save your custom template in one team, you won't be able to access it in another team unless you create it there separately.
Templates on the board toolbar
The template creator's name and profile picture is shown on the template card. Hover over a template to see the options to use it or see the template preview.
Custom templates on the template picker
Preview pages for custom templates help to easily identify the right template before adding it to a board. The preview shows the template name, description, and minimized copy.
✏️ You can reset the board preview by setting the start view in edit mode.
Custom template preview
Edit and delete your template
Set up by: Template owners, Company Admins with Content Admin permissions (on Enterprise plan)
Navigate within the template gallery to the template you want to edit or delete. Click the three dots on the context menu and you will get access to the following options:
- edit the template
- delete the template
Edit and Delete buttons in the template picker
By clicking the template name in the edit mode, you can change the template sharing settings (for example, make the template personal) and details (name, description, hover text, cover).
Changing template details
✏️ Please note, when your paid subscription expires, the custom templates won't be available until you prolong the subscription. Templates that have already been inserted into the board will stay intact.
Sharing a custom template
Access levels for templates
Keep templates private or share them with your team to avoid wasting time duplicating efforts.
There are three access levels for custom templates: Personal, Team, and Company.
- Personal templates are visible to their creator only
- Shared with the team templates are available to every team member
- Shared with the company templates are shared across all teams within the account (available for Enterprise plan only)
To update your access levels, enter edit mode, select the name of the template in the upper-left menu, make your changes, and then click Save changes to update.
Changing access level for a template
💡 Any user who created custom templates can change the sharing level of their templates from Personal to Shared with the team and vice versa. This can be done when creating a new custom template or by editing an existing custom template.
Sharing links for templates
Get team members up to speed on how you'd recommend using Miro in seconds, not hours. Sharing links help you direct others to quickly find the right template, extend the reach of recommended resources, and help you to create your own private Miroverse.
Navigate to the template you want to share and you can copy the sharing link in two ways:
- Click the three dots on the context menu and select Copy link
- Click preview to see the template details and select Copy link to share in the top right
The option to copy a template link on the template preview
When opening the link, your team member will land on the template preview page. Note that you can only copy links to shared templates.
💡 Visibility notes highlight which templates team members have access to this template before sharing. Access to custom templates via links reflects your existing share settings, so only those who have access today will be able to access your custom template from the provided link.
Company templates and Admin features
Available for: Enterprise plan
Set up by: Company Admins
Streamline processes and embed template best practices at scale.
- Create company templates
- Manage (edit and delete) shared templates
- Admin insights into template usage
Create company templates
On Enterprise plan, Company Admins are able to share a custom template with the entire Company so that users from all the existing and future teams can utilize them.
Users with other roles (non-admins) can see Share with the company option, but to create a template shared with the company, they have to invite Company Admin on their board and ask them to create a Company template out of it.
Company Admins can share a custom template with the whole company
You can easily identify Company templates as tagged with a 'COMPANY' label.
Company templates with a tag
Manage shared templates
If Content Admin permissions are enabled for your account, you can change the custom templates that are shared with a team or with a company to hide the templates that are not supposed to be shared and mess up user experience. Navigate to the Shared section, you'll be able to edit or delete any of the templates created here. Learn more about the Content Admin permissions.
Admin insights into template usage
See which templates are used the most often and if people are using your custom templates. Company Admins on Enterprise plan can see how many times Miro, Miroverse, and/or custom templates have been used at your company in the past year and 30 days in the Admin Insights panel. Learn more about the Admin Insights panel.
Popular templates in Insights
Frequently asked questions
- Can I share my custom templates with other users?
- If you are on a paid plan you can share your template with your team or with your organization (if you’re an Enterprise plan user) via the template picker. You’ll simply need to let them know what it’s called and it will be discoverable in Shared templates and via the search bar.
- Can I share my board as a template via a link?
- Yes, with the correct Board Content Settings, now anyone can make a copy of your board without needing edit access, just a link. Open the board Share menu > Sharing settings > Permissions and allow anyone with the board access to copy the board content (note that the menu is available on paid plans only; the option is enabled and non-configurable on boards on Free plan). Then share the board for public viewing.
After sharing a board link the Viewer can now go to the board where the option to duplicate the board can be found.
- Can I import another user's template to my Miro?
- Simply select and copy the template and paste it on your own board or duplicate the template board to your own team and save it as a template. Note that the option to copy the content and board may be restricted by the Board owner.
- How can I delete a template?
- Open the template picker, switch to Custom templates, find your template, click the three dots and choose Delete. Note that only Template owners and Company Admins with Content Admin permissions on Enterprise plan can delete templates.
- How can I see which templates are used the most often and if people are using our custom templates?
- Company Admins on Enterprise plan can see how many times Miro, Miroverse, and/or custom templates have been used at your company in the past year and 30 days in the Admin Insights panel. Learn more.