Learn how you can use the text tool on your Miro boards.
✏️ Note that this article describes controls available for the text tool. To learn more about text formatting options on sticky notes, tables, shapes, cards, connection lines, mind maps, please check out the corresponding articles.
Adding and editing text
There are 2 simple ways to add text to the board:
- Select Text on the toolbar or press T on your keyboard, click anywhere on the board, and start typing
- Drag and drop a text widget from the toolbar right to the board
The text tool on the toolbar
Formatting options are available while you are typing, and whenever the text box is selected. You can choose the text font, colour, and opacity, align text left or right, change font size, highlight, etc.
✏️ Text has a limit of 6,000 symbols per one text box. The limit includes spaces and all style changes in code, so text formatting may decrease the number of symbols you can input. If you exceed the limit, you will see the message You've reached the text box limit, some text may be cut off.
Text formatting options
To edit text or change the formatting partly, double-click it or click it once when using the text tool. Note that when you change the font or text size, the whole text box is affected.
Editing a part of a text line
To replace text in a text box, select it and start typing.
You can also use the following text formatting shortcuts:
- Ctrl + B (for Windows), Cmd + B (For Mac) - bold
- Ctrl + I (for Windows), Cmd + I (For Mac) - italic
- Ctrl + U (for Windows), Cmd + U (For Mac) - underline
There are two ways you can change the text size: on the context menu or by dragging the white dot.
Changing text size
To resize a text box, drag its left or right border.
Changing the size of a text box
To rotate text, drag the arrow icon.
Rotating a text box
You can create customized links in text boxes either via the Insert link option on the context menu. You can also link by choosing the Link to option under the three dots. Or just select some text and paste a link using Ctrl + V (for Windows) or Cmd + V (for Mac) shortcuts.
Attaching URL link to the text
Bulleted and numbered lists
Bulleted and numbered lists help break up large blocks of text easier to grasp and make key information stand out. To start a bulleted or numbered list, type a dash or a number and press the spacebar. You are able to convert any text that you entered into a bulleted or numbered list by using the add list tool on the context menu. Feel free to customize your lists and make them multilevel.
Creating a multilevel list
To finish the list, double-press Return or Enter key.
Copying text and style
Copy and paste text from other boards and third-party applications using Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V (for Windows) or Cmd+C/Cmd+V (for Mac) shortcuts. Learn here how you can select multiple objects on the board.
You can also quickly apply a particular style to all shapes or text boxes on the board. To copy and apply formatting, use the shortcuts Ctrl + Alt+ C and Ctrl + Alt + V (for Windows) or Cmd + Alt+ C and Cmd + Alt + V (for Mac). Or click the three dots on the text context menu and choose the option.
Copy and paste style
Please note, formatting cannot be copied from third-party applications. The only exception here is bulleted and numbered lists.
If you’re using a browser, spell check will be supported in Miro if it is supported in the browser. Make sure to enable spell check in the browser settings.
- For Chrome, open browser settings > Advanced > Languages > enable Spell check.
Frequently asked questions
- How to add text to a connection line?
- Please see how you can add text to lines here.
- Can I change the border color of a text box?
- No, this option is not available now. You can change the border color of shapes.
- I don't see all the formatting options when I click a text box. Why?
- Please note that some formatting options listed in the article are not supported for other text tools (shapes, mind map, cards, etc.). Besides, please make sure to switch to the select mode.
- How to move a text box?
- Switch to the select mode, click the text box, and drag it. Please make sure that it is not locked.
- Can I change the formatting of all text boxes on the board at once?
- Yes. Select all objects on the board (you can use Ctrl + A for Windows or Cmd + A for Mac), filter text, and change the formatting.
✏️ If you encounter bugs or issues with text, check this troubleshooting article.