Embed Miro boards into Microsoft Teams channels and seamlessly share them with the Team members. Keep your Miro boards at hand and rest assured that your entire team is on the same page.
✏️ If you would like to get Miro notifications via Microsoft Teams, check out this guide.
Available for: all Miro plans
In this article:
- Installing the plugin
- Embedding Miro boards into Microsoft Teams channels
- Frequently asked questions
Installing the plugin
First, you need to find Miro in Microsoft Teams Store or just follow the direct link.
⚠️ Please note that your tenant admin on the Microsoft Teams side should enable the Miro app within your 3rd party apps catalogue for Teams. Unless Miro is approved, it won't be listed among the apps in Microsoft Teams Store.
Click Add to install the plugin.
Miro plugin installation
Once having installed the Miro plugin, you'll be redirected to the chat where you will be able to configure getting Miro notifications. To learn more, please check out this article.
However, at that moment, you can already start embedding Miro boards into a Microsoft Teams channel without any additional configuration.
Embedding boards into Microsoft Teams channels
You can embed your boards into Microsoft Teams channels by creating a new tab. Click the plus icon. You will get a picker with various apps. Find Miro in the list of apps and select it. If you are not authorized in Miro in the same browser or within the desktop app, you will need to log in. Click Get Started and sign in or register with Miro.
The modal that prompts you to authorize your Miro profile
Once authorized, you will see a picker with Miro boards - the picker will show those boards that you have access to on the Miro side. Please note that you can be authorized in Miro and in Microsoft Teams under different emails.
Сhoose a board that you would like to add to your Microsoft Teams channel.
The picker with Miro boards
Note that only Board owners and Board editors who are team members can embed Miro boards. If you pick a board on which you don't have the needed level of access, you will see a warning message.
The warning message that your access level does not allow you to embed a board
Set the sharing settings for the board in the menu. You can select one of the following options:
- Anyone can view - anyone on the Microsoft Teams' side can view the embedded board's content
- Anyone can comment - anyone on the Microsoft Teams' side can leave comments on the embedded board
- Private - the same sharing settings as on the Miro side. Users who are authorized in Miro in the same browser and have access to the board on the Miro side will be able to access it through the Microsoft Teams channel (unless the board is shared publicly).
✏️ Note that the sharing settings that are set for a board in Miro can also define the board access within Microsoft Teams. If the board is shared publicly in Miro, it will be available for anyone in Microsoft Teams even if you have embedded the board as Private. However, if your board is private on the Miro side and you embed it with Anyone can view/comment access, board access in Miro will not be affected.
✏️ For Enterprise Plan Miro users, your access settings will follow organization-wide access controls which might imply that some sharing options may be restricted. Learn more: Managing Enterprise Sharing Policy for Embed Integrations.
Sharing settings when embedding a Miro board into MS Teams
⚠️ Anyone can comment option is not supported if you embed a board located in a free team.
Boards in free teams cannot be embedded with comment access
Once the board is embedded, you can start interacting with it right away.
Board embedded into a Microsoft Teams channel
✏️ Users of Microsoft Teams that use Miro on the Microsoft Teams mobile app can view and comment on boards depending on set permissions. For editing boards, we highly advise users to install our native Mobile app for which we have optimized the user interface.
Miro board in MS Teams on mobile - press Open in the app to install Miro native mobile app
Frequently asked questions
- Does each team member need to have a Miro profile to view embedded boards in Microsoft Teams?
- If you choose Anyone can view/Anyone can comment when embedding the board, even non-registered users will be able to view/comment the board. Also, if the board is shared publicly on the Miro side, it will be available for anyone in Microsoft Teams.
- Once a board is embedded, who has the ability to change the board’s access in MS Teams (e.g. from “Anyone can view” to “Private”)?
- No one can change access to the attached board, not even the one who has attached it. However, anyone can click Settings on the tab, and then choose another (or the same) board for the same tab and select another access level for the chosen board.
- I am registered with Miro under two emails and would like to embed a Miro board from my second Miro profile. How can I switch the Miro profile?
- The picker shows boards of the user with which you're authorized in Miro in the same browser. Open Miro in another browser tab, sign out and log in to your second profile.
If you use the Microsoft Teams desktop app, sign out of the app - this will also sign you out of Miro within the app. Then log in to the app and try to embed a board. You will be prompted to log in to Miro and will be able to sign in to another Miro profile.
- How can I allow Microsoft Team members to edit embedded Miro boards?
- On the Miro side, share the board publicly with Guest editors (select Anyone with the link can edit on the board Share menu). Anyone in Microsoft Teams will be able to edit the embedded board as well.