Working on an infinite whiteboard canvas, it's hard to resist the temptation to fill it with infinite content. But having strategic thinking is crucial when arranging board content. We've outlined several ways to structure board content and show relations between objects on the board.
In this article:
Align and distribute widgets on your Miro boards quicker than before with auto layout:
- Select the widgets you need to align.
- Click on the grey icon in the upper right corner and drag it horizontally.
Smart alignment of several widgets
⚠️ Please note that this feature currently doesn't work in table cells.
All objects on a board can be separated into groups using the Frames feature. To make this happen, select the Frames tool on the main toolbar and drag the cursor across the board to set the size of the frame.
You can also create a frame out of the existing objects. Simply group them by holding down Shift and dragging the cursor across, then open the context menu and choose Create frame.
Creating a frame
Frames allow you to structure it and manage the big picture easier. When you share a link to a frame, it's much easier for your collaborators to find the necessary content.
💡 You can also move, resize, hide frames, enable grid mode, and change frame color. Learn more in this article.
You can group multiple objects together by selecting them and clicking the Group objects button (or using Ctrl + G for Windows or Cmd + G for Mac). After that, they will behave as a single object (although you can still edit each object within the group):
Group option in the object menu
You can also group the shapes together and make a Custom template out of them. To do that, open the context menu and choose Save as template this time.
Moving an object within a group
You can align multiple objects that are spread across the frame by selecting them and clicking Align objects button in the context menu. Selected objects can be aligned horizontally, vertically and on left/right sides in relation to each other.
Vertical aligning of objects
⚠️ Objects within Tables cannot be aligned.
Connection lines allow you to link objects on the board. This is helpful when building diagrams or creating mind maps.
There are two ways you can create a connection line:
- choose an arrow on the toolbar and draw a line
- select an object, pick one of the blue dots, and drag a line:
Linking objects with connection lines
Frequently asked questions
- How can I change the size of my board?
- Miro board is being expanded as long as new content is added. However, please note that boards with a large number of widgets become less smooth to navigate and load. Find out how you can improve board performance here.
- How can I select multiple objects?
- Find the instructions here.
- I need to create links that lead to different parts of the board and put them in one place for easier navigation. How do I do that?
- Structure your board content by creating frames, copy links to the frames and paste them in a specif place on your board or in Visual notes. You can also navigate between frames on the frames panel.