Azure Cards allow you to import issues from Azure Boards (a part of Azure DevOps services) to your Miro boards. They can become an essential part of your remote retrospectives, story sizing, backlog prioritization, story mapping, and other team activities. You can also use them in Miro Kanban and User story mapping frameworks.
Available for: Enterprise plan
Set up by: Miro Team Admin & Organization owner in Azure Boards
- Importing Azure Cards using in-app Azure Boards work items picker equipped with various sorting options
- Searching for Azure Boards work items in the in-app picker
- Automated easy-to-read card view changes while zooming in and out
Miro supports Azure DevOps Services (formerly VSTS – cloud solution).
How to set up and uninstall Azure Cards
Integration setup is required on both team and personal levels. On the team level, setup is required once and should be done by the user who is both the Team admin in Miro and the Organization owner in Azure Boards. On the personal level, integration must be configured by everyone who is going to import Azure Cards.
How to install Azure Cards on the team level
You can install the app from Miro Marketplace. Find Azure Cards and click Get app.
You can also install Azure Cards from within a Miro board by finding the app on the toolbar.
Installing Azure Cards from within a board
You will be redirected to the page to select the team to which you want to add Azure Cards. Choose the team in the picker and click Install & authorize.
⚠️ Non-admin users can't install the app if it's not allowed in settings.
Azure Cards authorization
You will be redirected to the Azure Cards application settings in Miro.
Azure Cards app settings in Team settings
Click Connect next to Microsoft account and log in to your Microsoft account. Allow Miro to use your Microsoft account.
- Step 2: Enter your Azure Organization URL (can be copied from Azure DevOps) and click Connect. We will accept both the personalized URL of your instance or the general https://dev.azure.com/ address that ends with the name of your instance.
✏️ Please note that only Team Admins can set up the configuration. If you do not get the Connect button, please make sure to grant yourself Team Admin rights for the team.
Connecting your Azure Organization URL
How to install Azure Cards on the personal level
Each team member who would like to use Azure Cards should configure it on the personal level. This will personalize the сard picker and will allow importing all the Azure issues which the user can access.
After the app is installed by the Admin, the team users can see the Azure Cards icon on the creation toolbar.
Azure Cards on the toolbar
After clicking the Azure Cards icon, you will see a popup asking you to authorize. Press the button and click Continue. You will get to the Team settings > App settings. Follow the instruction from Step 1 to configure Miro and your personal Microsoft account.
How to uninstall Azure Cards
To uninstall Azure Cards on the team level you should be the Team Admin. Go to Team settings > Apps & Integrations > Azure Cards. Scroll down and click Uninstall for team. To uninstall Azure Cards on the personal level click Uninstall for me.
Uninstall the app for the whole team or for you only
Importing Azure Cards to Miro
As soon as you configure the app, you can import Azure Cards to your Miro boards within the connected team. Click on the Azure Cards icon on the toolbar to open the picker:
Azure Cards picker
We support search across all fields so you can easily find a needed card using its title, type, state, etc. It's also possible to use robust keyword search powered by Microsoft.
Search Azure Cards in the picker
You can filter cards by project, assignee, type, area, and state, which unlocks advanced filtering of Azure work items in the Miro in-app picker for users.
Filter Azure Cards in the picker
You can go to the card source item by clicking the Source button when you select a card.
The card's source button
Working with Azure Cards in Kanban
Creating and editing Azure Cards in Miro
The two-way integration between Miro and Azure DevOps lets teams create and edit Azure cards right from a Miro board. You can also turn sticky notes and Miro cards into Azure cards.
To create an Azure Card, select Azure Cards on the toolbar and choose Create work item on the top-right of the picker. Fill out the card fields, choose a project, item type, assignee, and click Create. The new item will get created in your Azure DevOps directory as well.
Creating an Azure Card in Miro
To convert a sticky note or a card into an Azure Card, select the option on the sticky’s/card’s context menu. You will want to set the card parameters and click Convert. The text on the sticky note/card will be converted into the card title.
Converting a sticky note into an Azure Card
The option to edit Azure Cards in Miro removes the hassle of switching between the tools. You can edit a card by clicking the pen icon on the card’s context menu. A pop-up window will open allowing you to edit the item’s fields (Title, Project, Type, State, Description, Assignee, Priority, Area, Iteration). Click Update to save the changes. The changes will be reflected in Azure as well.
The option to edit an Azure Card in Miro
Possible issues with Azure Cards and how to resolve them
1.1. URL is not valid
- The URL you used is not correct. Please check the spelling: for instance, the Azure Organization address must end with a slash sign.
1.2. Azure Organization URL cannot be reached
- The URL you used does not exist. Please enter the existing URL or check the spelling
- Make sure your organization can accept 3rd party authorization: Organization Settings > Policies (Security) > “Third-party application access via OAuth” is enabled
- Your Azure Organization is on a private network / your company firewall blocks external network connections
- Please make the necessary changes to your firewall and VPN configuration adding our domains to your allowlist miro.com*, *.miro.com, mirostatic.com*, *.mirostatic.com and realtimeboard.com*, *.realtimeboard.com, *static.miro-apps.com domains. If you use a proxy, please configure a reverse one allowing us access. Be sure to fill in the Azure DevOps URL field in the account settings with the address that we can access (the address may differ from the actual address of your restricted Azure DevOps). You may also want to prolong the timeout value on your proxy server
- All requests for the integration go through Amazon load balancer, so we can't provide any specific network information
1.3 Failed to Create Service Hook Subscription
- the user under which you are currently logged into Azure does not have the necessary permissions. The Azure user on whose behalf Azure instance will be connected to Miro must have access to this REST API methods:
- Create service hook subscription ("vso.serviceendpoint_manage" scope required)
- Receive metadata about projects (this information is used to correctly specify work items in subscription events)
- The following methods are also required to be accessible to all users who are to use the integration.
2. The user firstname.lastname@example.org does not have access to any project in the specified Azure Organization URL.
- You don't have access to any projects in the used Azure organization. To import cards you should have access to them on Azure Boards' side. Please reach out to the Azure organization owner and ask them to invite you to the Azure organization. This article can help you find out the name of the Organization Owner.
3. Failed to create service hook subscription: the user email@example.com is not an Organization Owner. Please ask your Organization Owner to configure this step.
- You should be both the Azure organization owner and the Miro Team admin to set up Azure Cards within Miro.
4. Authorization has expired. Please reconnect the integration in your team's settings.
- Azure authorization has expired. Please reconnect the integration on the Personal level as described in Step 1.
5. The card you're working with is showing unexpected behavior.
- This can happen if the card got unsynced from the Azure organization: for instance if you copied the from another board or are working on a board that was moved between accounts. To solve the situation, please re-add the Azure item to the board anew.
6. The number of work items returned exceeds the size limit of 20000. Change the query to return fewer items.
- If you get this error message, please limit the number of displayed tasks by using the search bar. At the moment, when you open the picker no filters are applied and all tasks from the last 3 months are displayed. Every time the picker tries to display more than 20,000 tasks, you will receive the error message.
7. I do not get the Connect button when trying to connect my Azure Organization with Miro in Miro settings.
- Go to the Active users tab and promote yourself to the Team Admin.
✏️ If you experience other issues, get in touch with Miro Support.
Frequently asked questions
- What IPs should be allowlisted for Azure Cards?
- 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168.
- What happens to existing Azure Cards when you disconnect & uninstall the Azure Cards app?
- Cards stay intact on the Miro boards with no data loss, they stop syncing with Azure, and the source button disappears.