Available for: Enterprise plan
Set up by: Company and Team admin
Azure cards allow you to import issues from Azure Boards (a part of Azure DevOps services) to your Miro boards. They can become an essential part of your remote retrospectives, story sizing, backlog prioritisation, story mapping and other team activities. You can also use them in Miro Kanban and User Story Mapping frameworks.
- Importing Azure cards using in-app Azure Boards work items picker equipped with various sorting options.
- Searching for Azure Boards work items in the in-app picker.
- Automated easy-to-read card view changes while zooming in and out.
Miro supports both Azure DevOps Services (formerly VSTS – cloud solution) and Azure DevOps Server (formerly TFS – on-premise solution) - starting from version TFS 2015 RTW. See the API and TFS version mapping here.
In this article:
1. How to set up and to uninstall Azure cards
1.1. How to install Azure cards on the team level
1.2. How to install Azure cards on the Personal level
1.3. How to uninstall Azure cards
2. How to use Azure cards
2.1. How to import Azure cards
2.2. How to use Azure cards on boards
3. Possible issues with Azure cards
How to set up and uninstall Azure cards
Integration setup is required on both team and personal levels. On a team level, setup is required once and should be done by the user who is both the Team admin in Miro and the Organization owner in Azure Boards. On a personal level, integration must be configured by everyone who is going to import Azure cards.
How to install Azure cards on the team level
1. Go to Miro Marketplace and install the Azure Cards app.
Azure cards app in Miro Marketplace
2. You will be redirected to the page to authorize your Miro profile and select the team to which you want to add Azure Cards. Choose the team in the picker and click Install.
Azure Cards authorization
⚠️ Non-admin users can't install the app if it's not allowed in settings.
3. You will be redirected to the Azure Cards application settings in your Account Settings.
Azure Cards app settings in Team Settings
1) Log in to your Mircosoft account in App settings > Microsoft account > Connect.
2) Allow Miro to use your Microsoft account.
Allowing Miro using your Microsoft account
- Step 2: Enter your Azure Organization URL (can be found on Azure DevOps' end) and click Connect.
Connecting your Azure Organization URL
How to install Azure cards on the Personal level
Each team member who would like to use Azure cards should configure it on the Personal level. This will personalize the сard picker and will allow importing all the Azure issues which the user can access to Miro boards.
⚠️ Team members can install the Azure cards application only if it's installed on the Team level.
After the app is installed by the admin, the team can see Azure cards icon on the boards' toolbar.
Azure Cards on the toolbar
By clicking the Azure cards icon you are redirected to the Account settings > App settings. You can set up the configuration with your personal Microsoft account by authorizing it. Follow the instruction in Step 1.
How to uninstall Azure cards
To uninstall Azure cards on the Team level you should be the Team admin. Go to Account settings > Apps & Integrations > Azure cards > App settings. Scroll down the page and click Uninstall for team.
Uninstalling the app for the team
To uninstall Azure cards on the Personal level click Uninstall for me.
Uninstalling the app for your profile
How to use Azure cards
How to import Azure cards
As soon as you configure Miro with your Microsoft account you can import Azure cards to your Miro boards within the connected team. Click on the Azure DevOps cards icon on the toolbar to open the picker:
Azure cards picker
Search by keywords or add cards in bulk.
Importing Azure cards to a board
⚠️ There's no option to create or edit Azure cards on Miro side yet. All the changes should be done on Azure Boards' side - they are automatically updated in Miro. The newly created issues in Azure Boards should be added to Miro boards manually.
You can go to the card source item by clicking the Source button when you select a card.
The card's source button
How to use Azure cards on boards
Adding Azure cards as User Story Mapping tasks
Working with Azure cards in Kanban
Possible issues with Azure cards and how to resolve them
1.1. URL is not valid
- The URL you used is not correct. Please check the spelling: for instance, the Azure Organization address must end with a slash sign.
1.2. Azure Organization URL cannot be reached
- The URL you used does not exist. Please enter the existing URL or check the spelling.
- Your Azure Organization is on a private network / your company firewall blocks external network connections.
- Please make the necessary changes to your firewall and VPN configuration adding our domains to your allowlist miro.com*, *.miro.com, mirostatic.com*, *.mirostatic.com and realtimeboard.com*, *.realtimeboard.com domains. If you use a proxy, please configure a reverse one allowing us access. Be sure to fill in the Azure DevOps URL field in the account settings with the address that we can access (the address may differ from the actual address of your restricted Azure DevOps). You may also want to prolong the timeout value on your proxy server.
- All requests for the integration go through Amazon load balancer, so we can't provide any specific network information.
1.3 Failed to Create Service Hook Subscription
- the user under which you are currently logged into Azure does not have the necessary permissions. The Azure user on whose behalf Azure instance will be connected to Miro must have access to this REST API methods:
- Create service hook subscription
- Receive metadata about projects (this information is used to correctly specify work items in subscription events)
- The following methods are also required to be accessible to all users who are to use the integration.
Get item types
List item types
2. The user firstname.lastname@example.org does not have access to any project in the specified Azure Organization URL.
- You don't have access to any projects in the used Azure organization. To import cards you should have access to them in Azure boards' side. Please reach out to the Azure organization owner and ask them to invite you to the Azure organization. This article can help you find out the name of the Organization Owner.
3. Failed to create service hook subscription: the user email@example.com is not an Organization Owner. Please ask your Organization Owner to configure this step.
- You should be both the Azure organization owner and the Miro Team admin to set up Azure cards within Miro.
4. Authorization has expired. Please reconnect the integration in your team's settings.
- Azure authorization has expired. Please reconnect the integration on the Personal level as described in Step 1.
5. The card you're working with is showing unexpected behavior.
- This can happen if the card got unsynced from the Azure organization: for instance if you copied the from another board or are working on a board that was moved between accounts. To solve the situation, please re-add the Azure item to the board anew.
6. The number of work items returned exceeds the size limit of 20000. Change the query to return fewer items.
- If you get this error message, please limit the number of displayed tasks by using the search bar. At the moment, when you open the picker no filters are applied and all tasks from the last 3 months are displayed. Every time the picker tries to display more than 20,000 tasks, you will receive the error message.