We are working on making Miro more accessible, and released the first bundle of product improvements for screen reader users.
Screen reader users don’t need to take any additional steps to activate the accessibility functionality – when you open a Miro board with your screen reader, you will hear a prompt to activate screen reader mode.
Now screen reader users can be invited to Miro boards:
- Sign up & sign in are screen-reader friendly
- It is possible to navigate through the Miro dashboard to open the required board
- The main types of board content such as frames, sticky notes, and shapes can now be perceived with the help of the screen reader.
Please, note, that the flow described above works the best for:
- Users invited to the existing team on Enterprise plan
- Users on Team, Business, Consultant, Education or Enterprise plan that are invited directly to the board as visitors
All of the flows described above are currently only available on the desktop.
The current solution is read-only making it possible for users to access existing board content with the help of the screen reader, and does not allow creating or editing content on Miro boards yet.
We will continue working on making Miro more accessible, and are planning to support other possible setups in the future.
When screen reader users are on the board, they will be able to access the following types of content:
- Images (using alt-text)
- Sticky notes (including text, emoji and tags on the sticky notes)
We recommend building Miro boards out with screen reader users in mind. Please, read the Help Center article How to make your Miro boards more accessible to learn more.
We added support to manage profile details using keyboard and screen-reader navigation. It’s possible to:
- Update information like first & last name, company name, industry, and role
- Upload, change, and remove user photo
- Change email
- Change password
- Delete profile
- Manage all integrations (in the integrations tab)
We added support for the main flows of Miro Company & Team admins on the Enterprise plan. It’s possible to use keyboard and screen-reader navigation to:
- Search and navigate to the team
- Create new team
- Manage team profile
- Search, browse, and filter active users
- Change role and license of users
- Change security settings of a company and teams
Recommended browsers and screen readers
We recommend using the following browsers and screen readers on the desktop for the best possible experience:
- NVDA screen reader for Windows
- Built-in VoiceOver for MacOS
Please, note that we currently don’t support screen reader users on mobile and tablet devices, only desktop.
Miro team is continuing to work on enhancing the solution, and will be updating this list as it becomes more compatible with other browsers, screen readers, and devices.
Visit Miro Accessibility Hub to learn more and stay up to date with all of the developments.