The migration process ensures the secure consolidation of all your teams, users, boards and any other Enterprise instances under a single Enterprise domain.
Learn about the Miro Enterprise migration process, and read essential information about the before, during and post migration process.
Relevant for: Enterprise Plan
Who can do it: Enterprise Company Admins
There are two types of migrations: Teams, Users & Boards, and Multiple Enterprises.
Teams, Users & Boards migration
On a Team level, this migration includes all self-serve and free plans. On a User & Board level, this includes migrating users and content from teams owned by an Enterprise domain on self-serve and free plans to one consolidated Enterprise instance.
Benefits of migrating Teams, Users & Boards
- Take ownership of boards created within teams outside of your organization
- Ensure utmost security by consolidating usage and content to be governed by your Enterprise security settings
- Allow your users to collaborate more effectively and take advantage of Enterprise features
This migration includes the merger of multiple Enterprise instances.
Benefits of migrating Multiple enterprises
- More efficient collaboration between users across different accounts and departments, as well as faster content sharing
- Simplified billing - no need to pay twice for the same users
- Consolidated admin and user management
- Insights and analytics for the whole company
What do I need for migration
In order for Miro to legally migrate content outside of your Enterprise into your Enterprise instance, you need to first verify your company domains under Domain Control. This establishes to Miro that you own your domain.
Once domain verification is complete, you can work with your Miro contact person to start consolidating the external teams and users under your Enterprise. If you don't have a Miro contact person, please reach out to Miro support.
What to do before migrating
- Set up Domain control by adding and verifying all your domains.
- Request a domain audit from your Miro contact person. The report will provide you with full visibility of teams created by your enterprise domain users, as well as users that have a Miro profile under your enterprise domain.
- Review data provided by Miro and decide the migration strategy together with your Miro contact person.
- The Miro team will run a pre-check to determine if certain settings need to be changed to successfully process the migration. The Company Admin will need to make the necessary changes.
- If you are using SSO, plan to add newly migrated users to your IdP so that they’re able to login via SSO based on Active Directory after the migration.
- Align the migration date with your Miro contact person, communicate to your teams the anticipated end user changes, and ask them not to use Miro during the scheduled migration time.
- Do not use Miro during the scheduled migration time.
- The Miro team will inform your contact person when the migration is completed.
The user experience during migration
While Miro is technically still accessible by end users, we strongly recommend against using Miro during the migration window, especially by users whose teams and boards are being migrated. Using Miro during the migration window can result in data loss and data integrity issues.
- The Miro team will send you a confirmation that the migration is complete and provide a post migration report.
- Review the post migration report and validate that the teams, users and boards were migrated.
- If you are using SSO, validate that migrated corporate domain users are able to login via SSO based on Active Directory.
- Update team permissions if needed (default team settings are applied to the team post migration). If you have a large number of teams, you can update their settings using the Teams API. If you need assistance with the API, please contact your Customer Success Consultant or Solutions Engineer.
The user experience after migration
For Company Admins
- Company Admins will see the newly added teams within their Enterprise account under Settings > Teams.
- All newly added users will appear in the Users list in company settings.
For end users
- Users may experience a change in the login flow if SSO is enabled.
- Users will see their team(s) now appear with a house icon, indicating it is now part of the Enterprise account.
- Users will have access to all Enterprise Plan features.