Depending on default sharing settings, all created boards on a paid plan can be set as private until shared or shared with the team automatically. On a Free plan, all boards created will be accessible to the team and do not need to be explicitly shared.
The Sharing window for Free plan boards lets users know it is available to the whole team by default.
Sharing settings of a board on Free plan
What the symbols next to the Sharing button mean
Available for: Enterprise plan
The board is shared with specific users:
The board is shared with the team:
The board is shared via a public-link (accessible by anyone who have the link):
The board is private and not shared with anyone:
How to set a shared board to private
Go to the Advanced Settings from the Share menu. You will have to remove each user until it only shows you (the owner). Make sure to stop sharing with the team or any projects by unselecting them from the menu below:
Setting a shared board to private
✏️ The Advanced button (Manage settings on Team plan) is only viewable if the board has already been personally shared with someone.
How to adjust default sharing settings for paid plans
By default, all newly created boards are set as private and can only be visible to their owner.
Team admins can adjust new boards' status to based on the team's workflow by going to your Account Settings > Permissions > Sharing Settings section.
Sharing settings in paid teams
Team admins can choose from the drop-down menu whether you want all new team boards:
- to remain private;
- to become accessible to any team member with Viewer, Commenter, or Editor rights.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did my boards recently become locked on my Free plan?
- We've converted all old Free plans before 2018 to the current Free plan. Simply unlock your boards by sharing them with the team, no need to upgrade!
- Why did my boards become locked after downgrading to the Free plan?
- The Free plan doesn't allow private boards. Please share the board with your team to unlock it. More information is in this article: The Board is Locked.
- I have seen the option to upgrade to make my board private. Is my board public by default?
- On the Free plan, it is shared with the whole team by default. It only relates to your boards being "shared with the team" within your Free team.
- Can my public boards be found online?
-Your boards are certainly not public or searchable on public search sites such as Google.