Miro uses role-based access control to manage what a user can see or do in the product. Roles are defined on the level of boards, projects, teams, and Companies. Some of the user roles may be interdependent, require a specific plan or a paid license.
Roles for collaboration
Visitors are one-time & unregistered collaborators who can access the content of the board but cannot share it with other users and use certain features. Visitors can only access public boards. Learn more
Guests are external and occasional collaborators who can collaborate on shared boards, when invited by email. They have access to the content of the board, retain access to boards in their dashboard, and can use collaborative features. Guests can access particular boards but they are not members of your team. Guests are named and visible on the board as they are always registered. Learn more
- Members are frequent and registered collaborators, who have access to all features in your paid plan, and can both edit board content as well as create boards. Members are named and visible on the board as they are registered. They can access all team-shared boards and projects
Roles on boards and projects
Roles on boards
Roles on boards can be received directly by invitation or indirectly by default sharing settings or sharing a board on the team level. To configure your board access level, open the board's Share menu.
Board sharing settings
- Owner of a board can define who can have access to the board, can delete and duplicate the board, configure board content settings, move it between teams or projects, set up a password, and save the board backup. Ownership can be transferred to another user
- Co-owners of a board can perform almost all the actions available for a board owner
- Editors are users who can edit the content of the board
- Commenters can view the board content and leave comments visible to other users on the board
- Viewers can only view the board
Roles in projects
Available for: Starter, Business,Consultant,Enterprise, and Education plans
Roles in projects are used to grant users specific access to multiple (both existing and newly created) boards in the project. Project-level access and participants are set by the project creator and can then be changed by any project editor for each specific participant.
Role in a project can be received directly by invitation or indirectly by default sharing settings or sharing the project on the team level. You can configure access to your project at any time.
- Owner of a project can edit or delete the project, add/remove boards from the project, make the project visible/invisible to the entire team and define specific users' access. Ownership can be transferred to another user
- Co-owners can be invited to a project, and change access rights of the team and other users in the project but cannot delete a project
- Editors can edit boards in the project and define specific users' access
- Commenters can comment on all boards in the project
- Viewers can view all boards in the project
Note that project access and board access complement each other and work at the same time:
- If a user already has a role on a specific board, the role with maximum access takes effect
- When their membership in a project is revoked, the user loses project-incurred access rights and retains only the roles on boards received directly
Roles in teams
- Team Admins are members with extended rights to manage users, access rights settings, and other team properties. They don’t receive any special level of access to other users' content. If there are a few teams within a subscription, each of them has its Admin. There can be multiple Admins per team
- Members are users who were invited to a team and can access all team-shared boards and projects as well as create their own boards. On paid plans, members always occupy a license in your team
- Guests are users who were invited directly to boards via email, but not to the team itself. They can access the boards but can't create their own ones. Guests are available on paid and Education plans, and guests with edit access are only available on Business, Consultant plans and on select Enterprise plans
- On the subscription level, Billing Admin is also recognized. This status is given to a person who starts the subscription having attached their card
To see the list of your team users, open Team settings and switch to Active users.
Available for: Enterprise, Consultant, and Business plans
A Company can have several teams under its umbrella, please see below the roles at a company level, compared to a team level.
- Company Admins are members with extended rights to manage users, Team Admins, security, access rights settings, and other properties of the Company and teams within it. They don’t receive any special level of access to other users' content (unless they are assigned Content Admin rights on the Enterprise plan). There can be multiple Company Admins
- Members are those who were provisioned/invited to at least one of the Company's teams. They can access all the team-shared or company-shared boards and projects as well as create their own boards
- Guests, previously known as non-team users, are users who are a part of your plan but are not a member of any of the teams. Thus they do not have any access to the boards shared with the team/Company but only to the boards that were specifically shared with them via a direct email invitation
- When adding a guest, these users get a Free license and can be converted to Full members to see & create team boards and access the full functionality of your Miro paid plan
⚠️ On the Business plan, Company and Team Admin roles are merged.