Sticky notes are great for quick brainstorming, taking notes, and arranging information visually. If you are familiar with Kanban boards or other techniques that involve putting stickies on a whiteboard, you will feel right at home.
In this article
Click the sticky note icon on the toolbar or press N on your keyboard to enable the tool. You can also add a sticky note by dragging and dropping it right from the toolbar or by clicking the board and dragging your cursor holding the left mouse button.
Sticky note on the toolbar
You can change the shape of a sticky note by clicking the icon on the sticky's context menu.
Converting a square sticky note into a rectangular note
There are 16 colors available for sticky notes thoroughly selected to ensure the best text readability and consistency in the design of your boards (no custom colors).
Sticky note colors
To add text to your sticky note, select it and start typing. The limit of symbols is about 3,000 per sticky note depending on the text size. You can enable Auto font size in the context menu.
Auto font size for sticky notes
To modify several sticky notes (change the size, color, add tags, etc.), select them following steps from this guide.
Selecting and modifying multiple stickies
To delete a sticky note, click the three dots on the context menu and choose Delete or simply select the sticky and press Backspace.
The option to delete a sticky note
💡 To align a bunch of sticky notes into a stack, select the stickies and use the Align feature on the context menu.
Creating a stack of sticky notes
To add a bunch of stickies in a row, click the sticky note icon, choose Bulk mode and start typing away. Hit Enter to separate ideas. The limit of symbols depends on the font size. Click Done, when you finish, and your ideas will be added to the board as stickies.
Adding stickies with a bulk mode
Pasting from a spreadsheet
You can also copy data from any spreadsheet and paste it on the board as a cluster of stickies, where each sticky note represents a single cell.
- Copy cells from the spreadsheet using Ctrl + C (for Windows) or Cmd + C (for Mac)
- Click the canvas (you do not need to open the bulk mode)
- Use Ctrl + V (for Windows) or Cmd + V (for Mac) to paste sticky notes on the board
Each cell will be imported as a sticky note. The maximum number of cells that you can paste at a time is 5000 (but not more than 50 rows and 100 columns); the maximum number of characters is 6000.
⚠️ Please note that this feature is not available in the Internet Explorer browser.
Importing a spreadsheet as stickies
Use Tags to structure your tasks and ideas. Highlight a sticky note click the Tag icon create a new tag or choose an existing one and apply it to as many stickies as you like. The tag search allows you to quickly locate a group of stickies. You can add up to 8 tags to each sticky.
To find all the stickies that contain a specific tag, use board search.
The board search icon in the upper-right corner of the board
To delete a tag from a sticky, select add tag on the context menu and click the tag.
Deleting a tag from a sticky note
To completely remove a tag from all objects on the board, click the pen icon and choose Delete tag.
Deleting a tag from the board
You can add an Emoji reaction to stickies to respond to any note. Emoji can be used for various purposes: voting, checking off to-do items, and just for fun.
To react with emoji, choose a sticky note and find add emoji in the menu. Selecting an emoji will place it on the bottom of the sticky note. It is possible to add votes to the existing emoji and add several reactions to one sticky note.
Adding emoji reactions to stickies
To remove an emoji you've added, simply click it (make sure that use the select tool).
Removing an emoji from a sticky note
Frequently asked questions
- Can I format text inside sticky notes?
- You can change the size, alignment, and style of text inside sticky notes. Other formatting options are not available.
- Can I import text from sticky notes?
- Yes, select the stickies, click the three dots on the context menu, and choose Export to CSV. You can also export your board content as an image or PDF.
- Can pen drawings, images, icons get automatically attached (stick) to sticky notes?
- No, but you can put your drawing/image/etc. on the sticky note, select both objects, and group them. The drawing will get attached to the sticky note.
- Can Commenters add sticky notes and emojis?
- No, Commenters can only leave comments and cannot use other widgets.
- How can I add a bunch of sticky notes to my board?
- You can use bulk mode to add prefilled stickies or use the Stickies Packs template to add multiple empty sticky notes (use search to find it on the template picker).
- The sticky note icon disappeared from my toolbar. How can I get it back?
- Click the three dots on the toolbar and find the tool using the search panel. You can drag it back on your toolbar. Learn more.
- I suddenly cannot edit my sticky notes. Why?
- Please make sure that:
💡 Watch the video and start collaborating right away: