Available for: Team, Business, Consultant, Enterprise, and Education plans
Set up by: account members
Standardize processes and avoid wasting time duplicating efforts by creating and sharing custom templates.
There are three access levels for custom templates: Personal, Team, and Company.
Personal templates are visible to their creator only.
Shared with the team templates are available to every team member.
Shared with the company templates are shared across all teams within the account (available for Enterprise plan only).
💡 Any user who created custom templates can change the sharing level of their templates from Personal to Shared with the team and vice versa. This can be done when creating a new custom template or editing an existing custom template.
In this article:
- Creating a custom template
- Modifying or deleting custom templates
- Company templates
- Frequently asked questions
Creating a custom template
There are three different ways for you to save a custom template.
1. Select a group of objects and choose Save as template in the context menu.
Save as Template option in the context menu
2. Choose the Save board as template option in the Export this board menu. The whole board will be saved as a template.
Save as Template option in the Export menu
3. Use the Create New Template option in the template picker. A new tab will open and you will be able to create a new custom template.
Create New Template button
To save the template click Save and Exit in the upper-left corner.
If you click the name of the template (New Template by default) there will be an option to change the name of the template, add a description, change access rights and select preview area.
Custom Template details
Make it easier for team members to identify important templates by setting custom thumbnails. You can select the preview area in two ways:
- Selecting a preview area from the board by clicking Select preview area text,
- Uploading an image from your device by clicking on the image area.
✏️ Custom Templates are saved to the library of the account to which your current board belongs.
You can see all personal and shared custom templates in the corresponding section on the picker. The template creator's name and profile picture is shown on the template card.
Custom templates on the template picker
Modifying or deleting custom templates
To edit or delete a template, use the context menu in the template picker.
Edit and Delete buttons in the template picker
💡 In the edit mode, you can also change a template's sharing settings. Click the template name in the top-right corner to open the settings.
✏️ Please note, when your paid subscription expires, the custom templates won't be available until you prolong the subscription. Templates which have already been inserted to the board will stay intact.
Available for: Enterprise plan
On Enterprise plan, Company Admins are able to share a custom template with the entire Company so that users from all the existing and future Teams can utilize them.
Create a new template as described in the corresponding paragraph and choose access rights in the template menu: Personal, Shared with the team, Shared with the company.
Choosing access rights when creating a template
Users with other roles (non-admins) can see Share with the company option, but to create a template shared with the company, they have to invite Company Admin on their board and ask them to create a Company template out of it.
Notification for non-admins
Templates shared with Company will be available under the Shared section of Custom templates in the template picker. They are shown first in the list and have a COMPANY tag on them.
Company templates with a tag
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I share my custom templates with other users?
- If you are on a paid plan you can share your template with your team or with your organization (if you’re an Enterprise plan user) via the template picker. You’ll simply need to let them know what it’s called and it will be discoverable in Shared templates and via the search bar.
- Can I share my board as a template via a link?
- Yes, with the correct Board Content Settings, now anyone can make a copy of your board without needing edit access, just a link. The board owner will need to select “Anyone with the link” from the Sharing Settings before selecting “Anyone with the board access can copy” from the Advanced Sharing Settings for each board.
After sharing a board link the viewer can now go to the board settings where the option to duplicate the board can be found.