Miro cards provide you with a structured way to add more details and make things like planning or story mapping easier. Cards are simply containers for information, which can be used for different purposes: text, tasks, etc.
To start using the tool, find the Card icon in the Apps and drag it to the toolbar.
Adding the card icon to the toolbar
There are four simple ways to add a card to the board:
- Drag the card icon from the sidebar and drop it anywhere on the board
- Select the card icon and click on the board
- Use D hotkey
Convert stickies, text boxes, and shapes into cards and vice versa
To delete a card, select it, click the three dots on the context menu, and choose Delete. Or simply press backspace.
The option to delete a card
Cards are blue and empty by default, but you can choose a color from the palette and fill card background, change the card length and height, add up to 8 tags to each card, assign tasks to board participants, add links, or dates. All the changes can be made both in closed and in expanded cards, except links (only in closed).
Editing a card
✏️ Cards can be assigned to users who have access to the board via email invitation, team share, or project. Cards cannot be assigned to visitors.
The option to add an assignee to a card
To add more custom colors to your cards, click the plus icon on the palette.
The option to add custom colors to the card palette
Add and remove tags by simply clicking them. Use tags for searching and filtering your cards.
Adding and removing tags
Change the card size by dragging the white dots and rotate it by dragging the arrow icon.
Changing the card size and rotating it
💡 Enable dimensions to create the same size cards across your board with precision.
To add text to the card heading, select it and start typing. The text of the heading is visible, whereas the description is hidden if the card is not expanded. To expand the card, click on the Expand icon either on the top right corner of the card or on the pop-up menu.
Expand the card to add a description
💡 The description also becomes partly visible with a triple board zoom. We recommend adding cards with 100% zoom and so if you press "+" in the bottom right corner three times, the card description appears as you zoom in.
You can input up to 6,000 text symbols in the card description. The limit is applied to card headings as well.
To format the text of the description field, use the shortcuts:
- Ctrl + B (for Windows), Cmd + B (For Mac) - bold
- Ctrl + I (for Windows), Cmd + I (For Mac) - italic
- Ctrl + U (for Windows), Cmd + U (For Mac) - underline
- “-“ + space at the beginning of a line for a bulleted list
- “1.” at the beginning of a line for a numbered list
To insert a link in the text, select some text and press Ctrl + V (for Windows) or Cmd + V (For Mac).
✏️ Formatting text and changing the text size in the heading of the card is not possible.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I paste copied text in the card description?
- Yes, please use Ctrl + C/Ctrl + V (for Windows) or Cmd + C/Cmd + V (for Mac) shortcuts. Note that images and other files cannot be added to cards.
- Can I format several cards in bulk?
- Yes, select the cards following these steps and edit multiple cards at once (you can also select all board content and filter cards).
- If I assign a card to a user, will they get an email notification?
- No, the user won't get a notification.
- Can I export my cards?
- Yes, you can select cards and export them as a CSV document. Review other board export options: How to export your board.
The option to export cards to CSV
- Can I configure email reminders based on the due date that I added to a card?
- This is not currently possible.