Miro allows setting different levels of access for your boards. Read the article to learn how private and public boards are different from each other.
In this article:
- What is a private board?
- What is a public board?
- What the symbols next to the Share button mean
- How to set a shared board to private
- How to adjust default sharing settings for paid plans
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is a private board?
Private boards are not shared with anyone and accessible by the Board owner only. Depending on default sharing settings, all created boards on a paid plan can be set as private until shared by the Owner or shared with the team automatically. Learn here how you can create a private board in a paid or Education team.
On a Free plan, all boards created will be accessible to the team and do not need to be explicitly shared. The Share window for Free plan boards lets users know it is available to the whole team by default.
Sharing settings of a board on Free plan
What is a public board?
A public board is a board accessible by anyone who has the board link. To set your board public, choose Can view/comment/edit next to Anyone with the link option on the board Share menu. Once you copy and share the board link with other users, they will be view/comment/edit your board content - the board will become available for unregistered users as well.
Public boards are not indexed by search engines.
Setting a board to become public
✏️ Apart from sharing boards publicly, Miro allows invite collaborators via email, enable team/Company/projects access. Learn more in the article Sharing Boards and Inviting Collaborators.
What the symbols next to the Share button mean
The board is shared with specific users:
The board is shared with the team:
The board is shared via a public-link (accessible by anyone who have the link):
The board is private and not shared with anyone:
How to set a shared board to private
To make your board private, make sure to stop sharing on different access levels: with the team, Company (if you're on Enterprise plan), publicly, with a project, and with particular users by unselecting them in Sharing settings on the Share menu. You will have to remove each user until it only shows you (the Owner).
If you're not the Board owner and have access to the board via team/project, please make sure to invite your own email to the board. Otherwise, you will lose access to the board as soon as you remove team/project access.
Note that on Free plan you cannot stop sharing a board with the team.
Setting a shared board to private
How to adjust default sharing settings for paid plans
By default, all newly created boards are set as private and can only be visible to their Owner.
Team admins can adjust new boards' status based on the team's workflow by going to your Account Settings > Permissions > Sharing Settings section.
Sharing settings in paid teams
Team admins can choose from the drop-down menu whether you want all new team boards:
- to remain private;
- to become accessible to any team member with Viewer, Commenter, or Editor rights.
- to become accessible to any Enterprise account member, regardless of teams they participate in, with Viewer or Commenter rights.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did my boards recently become locked on my Free plan?
- We've converted all old Free plans before 2018 to the current Free plan. Simply unlock your boards by sharing them with the team, no need to upgrade!
- Why did my boards become locked after downgrading to the Free plan?
- The Free plan doesn't allow private boards. Please share the board with your team to unlock it. More information is in this article: The Board is Locked.
- I have seen the option to upgrade to make my board private. Is my board public by default?
- On the Free plan, it is shared with the whole team by default. It only relates to your boards being "shared with the team" within your Free team.
- Can my public boards be found online?
-Your boards are certainly not public or searchable on public search sites such as Google.
- I am a member of a free team and of a paid team. Can I move my boards from the free team to the paid one to make them private?
- Yes, you can move your boards following this guide.
- Can my public boards be duplicated?
- Yes, if this is allowed in your board content settings.
- When I share a board publicly, do I need to pay for users who will access the board via the board link?
- No, people will be able to access the board for free. Please note that on paid plans, every Editor invited to a board via email requires a paid license in your account.