Miro allows setting different levels of access for your boards. Read the article to learn how private and public boards are different from each other.
What is a private board?
⚠️ Private boards are only available on Starter, Education, Business, Consultant and Enterprise plans.
Private boards are not shared with anyone and accessible by the board owner only. Depending on default sharing settings, all created boards on a paid plan can be set as private until shared by the owner or shared with the team automatically. Learn here how you can create a private board in a paid or Education team.
On a Free plan, all boards created will be accessible to the team and do not need to be explicitly shared. The Share window for Free plan boards lets users know it is available to the whole team by default. You can see your team members in Team settings on the Active users tab.
Sharing settings of a board on Free plan
What is a public board?
A public board is a board accessible by anyone who has the board link. To set your board public, choose Can view/comment/edit next to Anyone with the link option on the board Share menu. Once you copy and share the board link with other users, they will be able to view/comment/edit your board content - the board will become available for unregistered users as well.
Public boards are not indexed by search engines.
Setting a board to become public
✏️ Apart from sharing boards publicly, Miro allows invite collaborators via email, enable team/Company/projects access. Learn more in the article Sharing boards and inviting collaborators.
How to set a shared board to private
Available for: Starter, Consultant, Business, Enterprise, and Education plans
To make your board private, make sure to stop sharing on different access levels: with the team, Company (if you're on Enterprise plan), publicly, with a project, and with particular users by unselecting them in Sharing settings on the Share menu. You will have to remove each user until it only shows you (the owner).
If you're not the board owner and have access to the board via team/project, please make sure to invite your own email to the board. Otherwise, you will lose access to the board as soon as you remove team/project access.
Note that on Free plan you cannot stop sharing a board with the team.
Setting a shared board to private
Frequently asked questions
- Why did my boards become locked after downgrading to the Free plan?
- The Free plan doesn't allow private boards. Please share the board with your team to unlock it. More information is in this article: The board is locked.
- I have seen the option to upgrade to make my board private. Is my board public by default?
- On the Free plan, it is shared with the entire team by default. It only relates to your boards being "shared with the team" within your Free team.
- Can my public boards be found online?
-Your boards are certainly not public or searchable on public search sites such as Google.
- I am a member of a free team and of a paid team. Can I move my boards from the free team to the paid one to make them private?
- Yes, you can move your boards following this guide.
- Can my public boards be duplicated?
- Yes, if this is allowed in your board content settings.
- When I share a board publicly, do I need to pay for users who will access the board via the board link?
- No, visitors will be able to access the board for free. Learn how you can share your boards publicly in this article.