Need to quickly decide which of the discussed options or ideas your team prefers? Set up a voting session right on the Miro board - our voting tool will help you with that.
Available for: Starter, Business, Enterprise, and Education plans
Available on: browser version, Desktop app, Tablet app
Set up by: team members with editing rights on the board. All registered users and non-registered visitors with edit access can participate in the voting session
Setting up a voting session
The tool is available in the top right corner, on the collaboration toolbar.
Voting icon on the collaboration toolbar
✏️ If voting is not available for you, please make sure that the board is stored in a paid or Education team.
The voting panel will appear on the right side of your board. There you can access the voting settings most of which are optional. Before starting the session:
- define the objects that you would like your participants to vote on by setting the voting area. Quickly filter objects to vote on and select sub-categories like sticky notes
- set the number of votes per person by using + and - buttons or entering the number (note that voting is anonymous, the maximum number of votes is 99)
- set the voting session duration by using + and - buttons or entering the number, choose between minutes, hours, and days
- if every participant should cast only one vote per object, enable the corresponding toggle (optional)
Once you're all set, click Start.
Setting up a voting session
You can also set up a voting session and save it for a later presentation. Learn more about Presenting with activities.
Setting up an activity app for a presentation
Voting in progress
You and your board collaborators will be able to join the session or skip it. As soon as you set up voting, the board participants (registered users and non-registered visitors with edit access) will see the pop-up:
Click Join voting to vote or Not now to skip the session
If a user accidentally skipped voting, they can join it by clicking the voting icon on the top right toolbar. The icon shows the time left.
Current voting session icon on the toolbar
Those who join the session will be able to leave their votes on objects by clicking the plus icons next to them. All votes are anonymous. A participant can signal when they're done voting by clicking I'm done. Participants can see other users' progress (who is done voting) if they click on Participants.
You can change your votes during the voting session by clicking the plus and minus icons on the selected objects. If you closed the voting panel, you can rejoin voting by clicking the voting button on the toolbar.
How it works for the facilitator
The voting author will see the voting progress in the top right corner of the board. Click Participants to see the number of votes per person and whether the participants have finished voting. You can also end the voting session at any moment and add minutes by clicking the corresponding buttons.
Voting participants' progress
If you need to reset the current voting session, end the session and start a new one.
Once the session is over, all voting participants can see the top 3 results and click the button See all results.
Voting results pop-up
If you click See all results, you will see the list of the session results on the voting panel. Your voting history and other sessions' results are available in the corresponding tab.
Voting results of all voting sessions on a board
To rename a voting session or delete voting results, open a session and click one of the icons.
Renaming or deleting a voting session
Frequently asked questions
- Can I export voting results?
- There is no option to export voting results but you can take a screenshot as a workaround.
Who can participate in a voting session?
- All registered users (viewers, commenters, editors) on the board and visitors who can edit.
I am a board editor but I cannot start a voting session. Why?
- You cannot start a voting session if you are a guest on the board or a visitor who can edit. Only team members with editing rights can set up voting.
If I duplicate my board, will the voting session results be saved on the board copy?
- No, they won't.
How do I make it possible for participants to vote for separate words/sentences in a text box?
- Note that a user can vote for a whole text box. If you'd like them to vote for separate words/sentences in the box, please put each word or sentence in a separate text box.
Do you provide a Dot voting tool?
- Try to use this template from the template library or add the template from the template picker.