Available for: Team, Business, Consultant, Enterprise, and Education plans;
Available on: browser, desktop and tablet versions;
Set up by: team members with editing rights on the board. All registered users (Viewers, Commenters, Editors) and Guest editors can participate in the voting session.
Need to quickly decide which of the discussed options or ideas your team prefers? Set up a voting session right on the board, and our voting tool will help you with that.
Enable the tool to one of your teams and it'll be available in the bottom left corner, on the collaboration toolbar:
Voting icon on the collaboration toolbar
In this article:
- Setting up a session
- Finishing the session
- Voting Results
- Setting up voting in advance
- Frequently asked questions
Setting up a session
To set up and customize a voting session:
- Click the voting icon on the bottom toolbar
- Name the voting session or use the default one.
- Set the right Duration: you can choose between 1 minute and 99 hours and 59 minutes.
- Set the number of votes every collaborator can use within one voting session (20 votes max).
- Re-size the Voting area or leave it for users to vote on the whole board.
By default, board collaborators can cast their votes on any object that was placed anywhere on the board. However, you can easily change the Voting area and narrow it down to a specific part of the board that voters won't be able to trespass during the session. To reset the default Voting area, click Change in the Voting area section of the menu. Now you can drag and re-size the selection box as you want.
- Define whether the votes can be given to Stickies, Text boxes, Shapes, Cards, or images on the board (or all of them).
- Click Start voting now and place your vote!
Setting up a voting session in Miro
Your collaborators will see the timer over the voting tool on their toolbar and will be able to give votes following the instruction. All collaborators will see the name of the Editor who started the session.
Participating in a voting session
In this example, the voting was set for stickies only and allowed each user to vote 10 times:
You can also add your votes by clicking the plus on the options other voters chose (on the left)
Finishing the session
The voting session is finished when the set time is up or when the Editor manually finishes it. To end a session earlier, click End voting for all on the left sidebar:
The option to finish a voting session
The voting session has finished
After finishing a voting session, all voting participants can see the voting results. The anonymous results will be displayed on the left-side panel as well as on the board.
All your sessions are saved in the Voting menu marking the date and time when they took place, the author, and the name of the voting session. The menu also shows upcoming sessions saved to vote later. Click on a voting session to see its results or delete it.
Board voting sessions
Setting up voting in advance
Уou can set up voting ahead of time to save time during online meetings and workshops while making them more engaging and interactive.
Prepare your voting session as you normally would (select its duration, decide how many votes per person you want to allocate, pick the voting area and types of objects your collaborators can vote for). After that, click on Save to vote later and come back to your voting session when its time comes.
✏️ If you accidentally created a session before your meeting and would like to delete it, use the workaround: start the voting session, end it for all, delete the finished session.
The option to set up voting in advance
Frequently asked questions
- Can I export voting results?
- There is no option to export voting results but you can take a screenshot as a workaround.
- Who can participate in a voting session?
- All registered users (Viewers, Commenters, Editors) on the board and Guest editors.
- I am a Board editor but I cannot start a voting session. Why?
- You cannot start a voting session if you are a non-team user with Editor rights on the board or a Guest editor. Only team members with editing rights can set up voting.
- Can I change a voting session after it's started?
- No, but you can end the session for all and start a new one.
- If I duplicate my board, will the voting sessions be saved on the board copy?
- No, they won't.
- How do I make it possible for participants to vote for separate words/sentences in a text box?
- Note that a user can vote for a whole text box. If you'd like them to vote for separate words/sentences in the box, please put each word or sentence in a separate text box.
- If I start voting and leave the board, will board participants still be able to vote?
- Yes, the voting session is active until the time is up or you finish it manually.
- Do you provide a Dot voting tool?
- Try to use this template from the Template library or add the template from the Template picker.