Estimations are a vital part of agile development and planning. They help align team members on scope of work, identify gaps in analysis or understanding, and set clear expectations for delivery.
During estimations, team members assign a number to a task that reflects the amount of work required. In order to make realistic estimations, a numbering system is used which adds the previous numbers together. Team members can then discuss and align on the number they chose.
Use our estimation app to run multiplayer estimation sessions on a Miro board with cards, sticky notes and Jira Cards.
Available for: Starter, Consultant, Business, Enterprise plans
Set up by: team members with editing rights on the board
To start estimation:
1. Access the Estimation app from the collaboration toolbar and select Start new session.
Estimation app on the toolbar
2. Select the estimate scale: in the drop-down menu, choose the T-shirt or Fibonacci estimation technique.
3. Drag the estimation area across the objects you want to estimate. You can select cards, stickies, or Jira Cards for estimation. You can exclude particular objects from the estimation by clicking the blue dots.
4. Click Estimate x cards/stickies once you’re ready to start estimation.
Launching the estimation session
Everyone on the board will be able to join the estimation session. Estimations can be done asynchronously. All estimates are anonymous.
The pop-up to join the estimation session
Having clicked Join estimation, users will be redirected to the first item to add their estimates. Users can vote on all items or skip some items and vote on particular ones only. To edit an estimate, click the pen icon.
Estimation in progress
As the session runs, the facilitator can see all the estimations and set agreed estimates by clicking Show all estimate options and selecting an estimate. The facilitator can also edit the agreed estimates.
Once you agree estimates for all items, the facilitator will see the pop-up with the option to end the session and share results. The facilitator can also click End for all to finish the session at any moment. This will show the number of total points. Click End and share results on the pop-up, and the session results will be saved.
If you estimate Miro cards or stickies, the estimates are saved as tags on the cards or stickies.
Tags show the estimations of the cards
If you estimate Jira Cards using the Fibonacci estimation technique, the estimates are saved to Jira (at the moment, syncing only works for Fibonacci estimates). Note that the facilitator should authorize with their Jira credentials prior to giving final estimates. The estimation results will be automatically synced with the corresponding Jira issues.
For Fibonacci estimations to appear on Jira cards and in Jira tasks:
- Make sure the story points field is set up in Jira.
- Check whether you have the relevant permission in Jira to update the value of the story points field.