Built-in tools for navigation and editing are available on the toolbar on the left side of the board. Click on the three dots to see more tools. To select one of the tools, just click on its icon or use a shortcut to quickly select tools.
✏️ Learn more about Miro tools in this section.
Toolbar & apps
Note that the tools listed above are available for Board owner and Editors and are locked for Viewers and Commenters. Commenters can only leave comments while Viewers cannot make any changes to the board.
Select / Hand is the core tool for navigation. Click on the pointer to enable Select tool and click again to switch back to the Hand mode. This tool cannot be removed from the toolbar.
Switching between the pan and select modes
Feel free to change tools order, add and remove ones you don't need. Please note, your tools order and available tools will be saved under your profile.
To add apps to your toolbar click the three dots and choose Add more apps - this will open Marketplace.
✏️ Note that Admins can restrict the installation of apps by non-admin users.
The option to add more apps from the toolbar
Please note, toolbar customization isn't supported on touchscreen devices.
Drag and drop
To add a text, comments, frames, shapes, and stickers to the board just simply drag and drop its icon from the toolbar to the board.
Drag and drop functionality
Frequently asked questions
- My toolbar disappeared. How can I get it back?
- If you experience issues with the disappearing toolbar, try troubleshooting steps from this guide. Please make sure that you have Editor access to the board and set the correct browser zoom level.
Note that the bottom toolbar is missing if you are editing a custom template.
If the toolbar disappears when working in Miro on the iPad, find recommendations and learn more about iPad limitations on this page.
- Can I change the size of the toolbar?
- If you are working in a browser, you can change the size of board toolbars by changing the browser zoom level.
- Can I move toolbars?
- This is not currently possible.
- Can I hide toolbars?
- You can hide the bottom toolbar by clicking the grey icon.
You cannot hide the main toolbar but you can minimize it by hiding tools.
Hiding tools on the main toolbar