If your board is paused in a view-only mode even though you have not hit the limit of three active boards on the Free plan, this article will help you understand why it has happened and how you can unlock the board to continue working on it. The issue may arise when:
- you downgrade to Free plan
- you move a private board to a free team
- your old Free plan is converted to the new Free plan
✏️ Please note that a board may be locked for you in a view-only mode because you have been granted View-only access to it.
✏️ Learn more about locking particular objects on a board on this page.
When you downgrade to Free plan
As soon as you downgrade your account and change the subscription type to Free plan, the boards might get locked in a view-only mode for two reasons:
1) The account limits were exceeded. Free plan allows creating an unlimited number of boards but only 3 most recently created ones are active. Note that this limit is applicable to the whole team (not to every team member individually).
2) The board becomes inactive because it was created as private when on the paid plan. Since board privacy is not supported on the Free plan, the board gets locked and available for the Board owner and explicitly invited users for viewing only. When hovering over the board you'll see the message: Free plan users can collaborate on 3 active team boards. Private boards are locked.
Inactive board on the dashboard
To start working on the inactive board again, you should share it with your team.
Sharing a private board with the team
When you move a private board to a free team
When your old Free plan is converted to the new Free plan
Frequently asked questions
- I am on paid plan but my board is still locked because the team has reached the three boards limit. What do I do?
- Please be sure to switch to your paid team on the left sidebar of your dashboard if you are a member of several teams.
- I have shared a board with the team but it is still locked in a view-only mode. Why?
- Please make sure that the Free team's limit of three boards has not been hit. Please note that it is 3 boards per team (not 3 boards per user). Besides, check that you are authorized in Miro under the correct email and that you have been granted editing access to the board under that email.
- Can I decide which of the boards will be active in my free team?
- No, those are always the 3 most recently created boards. You can delete unnecessary ones that belong to you, duplicate inactive boards, or upgrade your team.
- I changed team access to a board to view-only and now I am unable to edit it. How can I retain editing access?
- Please reach out to the Board owner and ask them to share the board with you or request access from the board.
- I left/was deleted from a team and now cannot access a board that belonged to me. What do I do?
- You may follow the board link and request access from the current Owner. If the board was deleted, you can ask the Team Admin to restore it within 30 days if the board was not deleted together with the team.
- I used Miro without being registered, but after signing up I left access to the board. What can I do?
- There are two ways you can work in Miro without being registered: in Web whiteboard or as a Guest editor on someone's board.
If you work in Web whiteboard, please keep in mind that Web whiteboard boards are available for 24 hours. If you want to continue using them afterward, log in or sign up for Miro to save your work. Otherwise, the board will be permanently deleted after 24 hours.
If you work as a Guest editor on someone's board, you should be able to access the board via the same link if it still exists and is being shared publicly. If your access has been restricted, you may either request it or reach out to the Board owner.
- What do I do if I lost access to my board?
- Please try to find the board link in Miro notifications or in your browser history. If the board has been deleted, you can restore it within 30 days if you are still the Board owner. If you were simply removed from the board, you can request access.
If you are struggling with getting access to your locked board, reach out to Miro Support.