Take a look at this guide to understand how you are going to be charged if you purchased a subscription for your Miro team. From additional licenses to Day Passes - here we're covering the main points.
In this article:
- Configuring the invitation settings
- Adding new licenses
3.1. How it works on monthly subscriptions
3.2. How it works on yearly subscriptions
- Removing licenses
- Day Passes on the Consultant and Business plans
- What to do if you accidentally added a seat
- Frequently asked questions
- Your credit card is automatically charged at the end of every subscription period (monthly or yearly). For example: if you subscribed to a monthly plan on Aug 5, your account will be renewed (or expired if you cancel the renewals) on Sep 5.
- If there are insufficient funds on your card (or some other issue with your card), there will be more automatic charge attempts in 1, 7, and 14 days. During these 14 days, your team will still be active to not interrupt your workflow. If the renewal charge doesn't take place, your subscription is cancelled and the team is expired.
- The subscription price is directly connected to the size of your team and is recalculated automatically when the number of seats is changed. You only pay for the time that your end-users use the Miro licenses (occupy seats on the team).
- If you downsize your team, there is no immediate refund, instead, your unused paid time goes toward your next renewal/added licenses and the amount of your next charge will be smaller.
- If you stop renewing your subscription, your team is not necessarily paused - it will be active if you still have paid time left on your record.
Configuring the invitation settings
Choose whether you want to allow other team members to invite new users and increase your team size and subscription cost or only team admins should have that option in the Team settings > Permissions:
Team invitation settings
Team invitation settings on the Consultant plan
Adding new licenses
When you invite members above your current team size, you're going to be charged the prorated amount for each additional seat (license) until the end of the billing period.
💡 Learn here how the prorates will be displayed in your invoice.
How it works on monthly subscriptions
On monthly subscriptions, you're charged for additional seats on the subscription renewal date. If you cancel your subscription, the prorated amount for additional seats will be charged at the moment of cancellation.
If you add new members above the team size, your next monthly invoice will include:
- the renewal payment for all seats that are present in your team at the moment of charge,
- the prorated amount for additional seats. For example, the renewal date of your monthly subscription is Oct 1. On Sep 15 you have invited 1 teammate to join your account. The full price per 1 seat is $10 (for Team plan). On Oct 1 you will be additionally charged the prorated amount for the time used: $10/30 days x 16 remaining days = $5.33.
If you remove the additional seat before the renewal date, you will only be charged for these few days the license has been there in your account. For example, the renewal date of your monthly subscription is Oct 1. You added a seat on Sep 15 and removed the user and the seat on Sep 20. The full price per 1 seat is $10 (for Team plan). The prorated charge for the additional seat for 5 days will be $10/30 days x 5 days = $1.67.
How it works on yearly subscriptions
On yearly subscriptions, the prorated amount for additional seats is charged on the same day of the month as the day when you subscribed to Miro (for example, if you subscribed on Sep 10, 2020, your team members' payment date will be the 10th of the month. If you invite a new team member on Sep 14, 2020, we will charge you for this user for the first time on Oct 10, 2020). If you cancel your subscription, the prorated amount for additional seats will be charged at the moment of cancellation.
Here's how the calculation works: on your yearly subscription that you purchased on Aug 17, you have invited 1 person on Sep 2. The full price per annual seat is $96 (for Team plan). On Sep 17, you will be additionally charged a prorated amount for this additional member for the rest of the billing period (from Sep 2 to Aug 17 of the next year): $96/365 days x 349 days = $91.79. Your subscription renewal date will not change.
If you remove the additional seat before the charge date, you will only be charged for the several days the license has been there in your account.
⚠️ If you have any past due invoices caused by an increase in the number of seats, a balance for the amount owed to Miro will be charged as a separate invoice together with an upcoming renewal/ upgrade.
If you do not intend to invite new users to take the vacant seats that you created by removing members, you may decrease the size of your team.
Go to the Account Settings > Billing > Overview and click Change team size. Set a new team size and click Confirm. You will see a message saying that your account size is now changed and your next purchase will be prorated for the new number of seats. The prorated amount for the unused time goes to the subscription balance and applies towards the next purchase.
✏️ To get to the Billing settings on Consultant plan, open Company settings first.
The option to adjust your team size in Billing settings
What to do if you accidentally added a seat
Accidentally added a member above your team size and soon realized that you don't need the additional user in the team? Here're the steps to follow:
- Remove the user from your account. Check this page to learn how to do this on Team and Business plan. Go here to find the instructions for Consultant plan.
- Remove the seat.
Once you remove the seat, the amount for unused time will be credited to your subscription balance and will be applied towards the next invoice.
Day Passes on the Consultant and Business plans
The amount for Day Passes consumed by Occasional users is charged:
- on monthly Consultant plan subscription: on the subscription renewal date;
- on annual Consultant, Business plan subscription: on the same day of the month as the day when you subscribed to Miro.
✏️ To view the list of Day Pass consumers, go to Company settings > Billing > Day pass history.
Frequently asked questions
1. I'd like to collaborate with a user who already has their own subscription. Should I purchase a seat for the user to collaborate on my boards?
- Yes, in Miro you pay for the number of licenses in your account. To start the collaboration, you may either invite the user to your account or ask them to invite you. You can also share your boards with other users for free either by using the public link feature or by inviting them via email with view/comment access.
2. A license was added to my account but I removed it before the charge. Will I be charged the prorated amount until the end of the billing period anyway?
- No, the amount will be prorated to the time period the additional license has been in the account.
3. How can I pay for my subscription by invoice/wire transfer?
- You can upgrade with self-serve invoicing, please follow the instructions here. The option is available for Team plan (10+ annual licenses) or Business plan (20+ annual licenses).
4. How can I prevent users from consuming Day Passes?
- You can disable Day Passes in the Account Settings > Billing > Overview.
5. I haven't purchased a subscription but I receive billing emails and notifications about new licenses from Miro. Why?
- You're the account admin or your email is stated in the Billing settings.
6. What currency am I going to be charged in?
- Miro is registered as a US vendor so all our invoices to customers come from a US entity and we accept US currency only ($USD). If your currency is different from US dollars, your subscription price will be converted from your local currency to US dollars.
7. Can I share one license/seat with several members?
- No, as it's one member per seat. However, you can release the license by removing a member and invite another person to the vacant seat.
8. I upgraded my account but I still can use free features only. What do I do?
- Please switch to your paid team on the left sidebar of your dashboard.
9. How do I contact Miro regarding a billing issue I have?
- Please find the guide here. Please note that we can share billing-related information with the Admin or the user who purchased the subscription only.