With the option to allow/restrict copying board content, you can share your beautiful boards as public templates with users outside your team and allow them to easily save shared boards to their own accounts. On the contrary, you can restrict the ability of your team members to duplicate your content.
Board owners are free to configure the content permissions for their boards while Admins can choose a default value for all new boards and restrict copying board content by users outside the team.
Note that this feature will only limit downloading and/or copying your content through the Miro platform directly. Team members may circumvent this restriction outside of the platform controls - e.g., screenshots or recordings.
✏️ The option to copy board and content is enabled by default and non-configurable on boards on Free plan.
In this article:
Setting up content permissions for a board
To configure content permissions for a board, open the board Share menu, go to Sharing setting, and switch to Permissions.
Here you can choose the level of permissions for copying board content. The permissions include such actions as
- duplicating the board to other users' workspaces
- downloading files/images/PDFs pasted on the board
- copying widgets, exporting the board as an image/PDF
- saving as a custom template
Open the dropdown menu and choose one of the options:
- Anyone with the board access
- Only team members
- Only team members with editing rights
- Only Board owner
Configuring board content permissions
Please keep in mind that:
- Anyone with the board access option is not shown if copying board content is forbidden for users outside your team by the Team Admin
- The option to save the board as a custom template is available for your team members only
- The option to copy content is available for registered users or Guest editors only
- The options to duplicate and export a board are available for registered Miro users only
- The option to duplicate a board may be restricted on Enterprise plan if moving boards between teams is not allowed for the team where the board is located
Once the setting is saved, the option to copy the board and content will be allowed/restricted for a specific group of board users. You may share your board with users for viewing and allow them to create a copy of the board in their account or restrict your team members from copying your content.
For example, if you allow anyone with the board access to copy the content on your public board, every user will be able to download files on the board and all Editors and all registered users will be able to copy the board content. Every registered board visitor will be able to export the board, create a board copy in their own team. The option to save the board as a custom template will be available for your team members only.
Registered Guest viewers can export or duplicate your public board if it is allowed in sharing settings
Team content settings
Set up by: Team Admins, Company Admins
To configure content permissions for your team, go to the Team settings > Permissions and scroll down to Board content settings.
The Admin can define whether users outside the team (such as Guest viewers/commenters/editors or Non-team users explicitly invited to boards via email) can copy the board content. Team members will be able to change their boards' permissions based on the setting.
Board content settings
The Admin can also set who can copy/download board content on newly created boards by default. Note that this setting can be changed on individual boards by its Owners.
Configuring default board copying settings
Frequently asked questions
My board guests lost the ability to download PDFs and images on the board. What should I do to unlock the option?
- Make sure that the permissions to copy/download the board content are unlocked for users outside the team by your Admin in the Team settings. Then allow everyone with the board access to copy the board content on the board Share menu > Sharing settings > Permissions.
- I want to disable the Download button on uploaded files for other users. Can I do that?
- Yes, you can restrict downloading files with the options on the board share menu > Sharing settings > Permissions.
- I want my board guests to download files on the board, but I would like to restrict their ability to duplicate the shared board to their account. How can I achieve this?
- At the moment, the two settings cannot be configured separately. However, as a workaround, you can create a separate board with the files and enable the ability to copy the board and content on it.
You may also embed the board with the files on the original one - this way your board guests will always have access to the files. To embed the board, copy the board embed code following this guide and paste the code as an iframe widget on your main board.
- I can't find Permissions on the board Share menu. Why?
- Note that board permissions can only be set up by the Board owner or Co-owner. This setting can only be configured on boards stored in Team, Consultant, Business, Enterprise, and Education teams.
- The Anyone with board access option is not available for me in board Permissions. Why?
- Please note that Admins can restrict the ability to copy board content for users outside the team. If you're an Admin, please change content settings in your team.
- Can I define who can upload content to my board?
- The option to upload content to your board is available for all Board editors (Guest editors as well).