By removing a user Admins restrict their access to the team content and can take ownership of the user's content or delete it.
How to delete users
To delete members or guests from your team, go to Team settings. To access the settings from your dashboard, click the team name and choose Users on the dropdown menu.
Getting to Team settings
In the Users tab, click the three dots next to a user and choose Delete from team.
✏️ If you do not see the option to delete a user, check out the steps below.
Delete a team member
If the user is the owner of some boards, projects, or templates created in this team (shared or private), you will be given a choice whether to pass the ownership to one of the team members (on Free and Education plans - to one of the Admins) or delete them. Click the cross icon if you would like to change the owner-to-be. If you choose to delete the user and content, an Admin will still be able to restore the boards within 30 days.
✏️ On Business and Consultant plans, if you choose to transfer ownership to Team Admins, content gets automatically reassigned to one of the Admins.
Changing board ownership, while removing a user
On paid plans, you can also bulk delete users: select several users and choose Delete from team under Bulk actions.
Deleting several users in bulk
The deleted user will lose all access to your team projects right away (without being notified). Please note that they will retain access to the team boards that were shared via a public link - if the user saved the links to these specific boards.
✏️ Note that deleting a user from a team that belongs to Consultant plan does not release a paid license as the user still takes a seat in your Company. Please see below how you remove a user from a Consultant account.
On Team and Business plans, after the removal of team members, you will see the notification that you now have vacant seats.
The message about seats released after removing users
Click Keep seats if you would like to invite other users to the vacant seats. Click Manage seats if you would like to decrease the team size. To reduce the number of seats, set a new team size and click Confirm.
If you reduce your team size, the amount for unused time will go as a credit to the subscription balance. To know more about the prorated system of charge, please check our article - Understanding billing.
How to delete users on Consultant plan
To remove a user and release a vacant seat, open Company settings > Active users section and choose Delete in the user's menu. Define whether to transfer ownership of the user's content or to remove all the user's resources and click Confirm. If you choose to transfer the user's content, it will be reassigned to Admins of the teams where the content is located. See below how you can get to Company settings from Team settings.
Removing a user from the Consultant account
If you remove Full members from your account, you will see a message that you now have empty seats. If you are not planning to invite Full members to take the vacant seats, click Manage seats and decrease the team size.
The message about seats released after removing Full Members
✏️ If you see a notification The team must have at least one Admin when trying to delete a user, it means that the user is the only Admin in a team or teams within the subscription. To fix this, you may invite yourself to these teams and grant Team Admin rights to yourself. Сlick on the number of teams of the respective user to learn which teams they are a member of.
Frequently asked questions
- I do not have the option to delete users. Why?
- Please note that the option to remove members is available for Admins only. If you do not see the option in settings, please ask the Admin to delete users. You can find the current Admin's email on the Active users list. You can also ask the user to promote you to Admin.
Team Admin in Team settings > Active users
- Our Miro Admin has left the company. How can I remove them?
- Another Admin can revoke the user's Admin rights and delete the user. If the user is the only Admin on the account, contact your IT Department and ask them to grant you access to the email address of the Miro Admin. Once you gain access to Miro Admin's email address, change the password, sign in to Miro with Admin's credentials, and grant Admin rights to yourself in the Settings > Active users. If that does not help, you can reach out to Miro Support for assistance.
- How can I remove empty seats?
- If you have vacant licenses that you want to delete, follow this guide.